Who we are
We provide strategic advice to insolvency practitioners, creditors, stakeholders and directors on how best to deal with a company’s financial difficulties or potential insolvency. Our lawyers are recommended by leading independent commentators such as Chambers and the Legal 500 Asia-Pacific.
We have acted on behalf of various stakeholders in some of Australia’s largest corporate insolvencies.
We also assist directors and shareholders to come to an arrangement with creditors and restructure capital, either informally or through the external administration process. We also represent directors involved in ASIC reviews, investigations and prosecutions and act on behalf of financiers and creditors who may suffer an exposure as a result of a failed company.
What we do
Our expertise include:
- Priority and perfection disputes arising out of competing security interests
- Complex employee entitlement arrangements
- Debt and equity restructures
- Potential personal liability resulting from trading and realisation activities
- Administration of managed investment scheme interests.
The team prides itself on providing frank and fearless advice to clients and working with directors of insolvent companies, whether it be advising them as to their obligations and duties or resisting claims made by insolvency practitioners.
- Prosecuting close to 1,400 proceedings across Australian courts on behalf of the liquidators of Timbercorp Finance, seeking recovery of Timbercorp Finance’s $500m loan book.
- Acting in the wind down of the Masters Home Improvement Business In Australia – a $1bn “largest of kind” transaction.
- Advising Bendigo and Adelaide Bank and the receivers of a $100m manufacturing business.
- Advising the deed administrators on all aspects of their appointment to a $100m listed oil producer.