Brendan is best known in the market for providing advice and court representation in major contractual and corporate disputes and prosecutions, as well as representing broadcasters in defamation and other media law matters. Most of the larger contractual disputes he advises on are mining and construction disputes.
Brendan is well known for his court advocacy and working relationship with other senior lawyers and the courts. He is frequently briefed by other firms that do not have a litigation practice and in situations where large legal firms have a conflict in acting.
Brendan provides early, strategic advice to clients and works to achieve a favourable resolution of disputes in a timely way. His focus on the early resolution of disputes makes him stand out from competitors who get caught up in court processes and lose focus on resolving disputes.
Brendan works for listed companies in mining and construction disputes, as well as broadcasters.
Brendan’s expertise includes:
- Contractual disputes, usually involving substantial mining and construction contracts
- Arbitration, rapid adjudication and urgent injunctive relief in construction and mining disputes
- Corporate disputes involving disputes between directors, shareholders and regulators
- Defending administrative and enforcement proceedings brought by regulators, principally ASIC
- Defamation and media law matters for broadcasters and high profile individuals
- Appearing as Counsel in all the areas identified above.
- Acting for a listed company in Supreme Court of Western Australia and Takeovers Panel proceedings.
- Acting for a director and shareholder in the Supreme Court of Western Australia claiming breaches of fiduciary duty in respect of a conglomerate of business enterprises.
- Acting for parties in the Supreme Court of Western Australia claiming various trust interests in respect of substantial commercial and residential properties.
- Acting for a bank in defending various claims of misleading and deceptive conduct in the Supreme Court of Western Australia.
- Providing a public company with advice on various major cyber security related contracts, including with international mining, oil and gas companies.
- Acting for the ABC in the Supreme Court of Western Australia in proceedings involving covert surveillance and allegations of animal cruelty.
- Acting for a construction company in the Supreme Court of Western Australia against an international mining services company for breaches of a teaming agreement.
- Recommended Lawyer, Construction/Infrastructure Law, Best Lawyers in Australia.