Brendan is best known in the market for providing advice and court representation in major contractual and corporate disputes and prosecutions, as well as representing broadcasters in defamation and other media law matters. Most of the larger contractual disputes he advises on are mining and construction disputes.
Brendan is frequently instructed on matters of considerable importance to commercial and personal reputations and provides strategic advice on dealing with those sensitive matters. He also acts in a range of State Administrative Tribunal and insolvency disputes.
Brendan is well known for his court advocacy and working relationship with other senior lawyers and the courts.
Brendan provides early, strategic advice to clients and works to achieve a favourable resolution of disputes in a timely way. His focus on the early resolution of disputes makes him stand out from competitors who get caught up in court processes and lose focus on resolving disputes.
He is also the long-standing Arbitrator for the West Australian Football League and the former Chairman of the Western Australian Cricket Association Appeals Board.
Brendan’s expertise includes:
- Contractual disputes, usually involving substantial mining and construction contracts
- Arbitration, rapid adjudication and urgent injunctive relief in construction and mining disputes
- Corporate disputes involving disputes between directors, shareholders and regulators
- Defending administrative and enforcement proceedings brought by regulators, principally ASIC
- Defamation and media law matters for broadcasters and high profile individuals
- Acting in a wide range of insolvency disputes
- Acting for strata companies and owners in a range of strata titles and planning disputes
- Appearing as Counsel in all the areas identified above.
- Acting for construction companies in rapid adjudication proceedings and proceedings in the Supreme Court’s of Western Australia and the Northern Territory.
- Acting for directors and shareholders in breach of fiduciary duties and oppression claims in the Supreme Court of Western Australia and the Federal Court
- Acting for directors, companies and financial services licensees in ASIC investigations and proceedings
- Acting for a listed company in Supreme Court of Western Australia and Takeovers Panel proceedings.
- Acting for parties in the Supreme Court of Western Australia claiming various trust interests in respect of commercial and residential properties.
- Acting for the ABC in the Supreme Court of Western Australia in proceedings involving covert surveillance and allegations of animal cruelty.
- Acting for parties seeking suppression orders
- Acting for liquidators in providing advice on recovery proceedings and pursuing recovery proceedings
- Acting for owners in strata title and planning disputes in the State Administrative Tribunal
Professional Memberships / Accreditation & Activities
- Recommended Lawyer, Construction/Infrastructure Law, Best Lawyers in Australia.
- Recognised Lawyer, Litigation, Best Lawyers in Australia.
- Professional Member of ARITA
- Brendan Taylor is a member of ALFA International.