Ashley is recognised as one of the leading commercial disputes and insolvency lawyers in Queensland, having conducted complex litigation and insolvency matters in various jurisdictions across Australia, the United Kingdom, continental Europe, the Caribbean and the United States of America in the last 20 years.
Ashley has advised on many of Australia’s most complex corporate collapses including LM Investment Management Limited, Equititrust Limited, City Pacific Limited, Octaviar Limited (formerly MFS Limited), Privium Group and Ellume Limited.
He has also appeared for the taxpayer in numerous high-profile disputes against the ATO regarding alleged off-shore asset holdings and tax avoidance associated with Liechtenstein, Panama, the Guernsey Islands and the British Virgin Islands.
Known for his strategic and decisive yet commercial approach to managing his client’s risks, Ashley is retained by liquidators, bankruptcy trustees, company directors, partners of professional services firms and construction and development companies.
Ashley has advised numerous corporations and directors in respect of regulatory prosecutions brought by the ASIC, the ACCC and the TGA, including deploying offensive strategies to combat the regulatory’s compulsory evidence gathering powers (including various challenges in court to the regulator’s conduct and excessive use of such powers).
He also practices extensively in Sports Law, acting for World Champion professional surfers Joel Parkinson, Tyler Wright, Owen Wright and Mikey Wright as well as national sporting teams including Team 18 Racing (V8 Supercars), Brisbane Roar FC (A-League) and numerous individual athletes, coaches and sponsors across various sporting codes. Ashley’s practice in this area extends from dispute work to contract negotiation (sponsorship deals, player contracts and stadium deals) to judiciary appearances and including ASADA and WADA investigations.
Ashley’s expertise includes:
- Corporate and Personal Insolvency
- Partnership Disputes
- Shareholder Disputes
- Building and Constructions Disputes
- ASIC, ACCC and TGA regulatory prosecutions
- Crime and Corruption Investigations including Royal Commissions
- Tax Audits and Disputes
- Directors duty advice and governance/compliance issues
- Sports law – contracts, judiciary appearances and governance advice
- Acted for the liquidators of LM Investment Management Limited (in liquidation) in the collapse of a $1B managed investment scheme.
- Advised numerous tax payers in respect of the LGT (Liechtenstein) investigation conducted pursuant to the ATO’s Project Wickenby.
- Advised tax payers and advisers/promoters in respect of issues arising from the Panama Papers.
- Advised on liquidation of White Label Mobile – national communications carrier of Liechtenstein.
- Acted for Ms Pauline Hanson in her defamation claim against the ABC.
- Advised and appeared against ASIC in a number of high-profile ASIC investigations.
- Acted for successful tax payer when tax assessments in excess of $30M were quashed on the basis of the Federal Court finding that the Commissioner of Taxation had engaged in conscious maladministration in delivering those assessments.
- Acted for the liquidators of the collapsed building group – Privium Homes.
- Acted for the voluntary administrators of Ellume Limited regarding the restructure and recapitalisation of that company’s Australian and off-shore businesses.
Professional Memberships / Accreditation & Activities
- Recommended Lawyer, Litigation Law, Doyle’s Guide