Justin is experienced in dealing with a range of commercial disputes, regulatory investigations and insolvency matters.
He is known for his careful and practical management of sensitive disputes, and his ability to work with opposing lawyers, regulators and other parties to obtain effective outcomes for clients.
Justin has a close insight into financial services regulation having previously worked with the Australian Securities and Investments Commission as part of its market enforcement and legal and policy teams.
Justin acts for a range of clients in diverse industries including construction, building, financial and professional services.
He is experienced in appearing as Counsel in state courts in Western Australia and the Federal Court of Australia. Justin focuses closely on working with clients to resolve disputes in a commercial manner and efficiently advance Court proceedings. When involved in complex and challenging disputes, clients value his ability to remain calm under pressure and communicate clearly and effectively.
Justin’s expertise includes:
- Acting in relation to regulatory investigations and prosecutions and providing compliance advice with respect to financial services and directors’ duties
- Acting in sensitive matters concerning the management and protection of professional and business reputation, including in actions concerning trade-marks, defamation and suppression orders
- Acting for both insolvency practitioners and company directors in relation to claims including unfair preferences, uncommercial transactions, insolvent trading and breaches of directors as well as conducting public examinations
- Acting in breach of contract claims, negotiating commercial settlements and reviewing and amending commercial contracts
- Providing advice and representation in relation to corporate and partnership disputes, professional and financial services and trade practices and consumer claims
- Acting in relation to a significant directors and shareholders dispute involving alleged breaches of director’s duties and shareholder oppression in the Federal Court.
- Acting for a class of investors in relation to a substantive Federal Court hearing concerning the distribution of proceeds recovered by the liquidators of a significant Ponzi scheme.
- Acting in proceedings seeking the cancellation of a national trademark and related breach of trademark and passing off claims.
- Acting for a number of individuals, and then receivers, in obtaining urgent freezing orders and the appointment of receivers to preserve and investigate significant investment funds.
- Acting in relation to an investigation and criminal prosecution commenced by ASIC under the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth).
- Acting for a mortgage broking and financial services company in defending a claim commenced with the Australian Financial Complaints Authority and providing related compliance advice.
- Acting for a listed construction company in multiple adjudication applications) and related proceedings in the Supreme Court of the Northern Territory.