Workplace Relations, Employment & Safety
Mills Oakley’s WRES team combines a wealth of experience from recognised leaders in employment and workplace relations law with commercial rates that make a compelling value proposition.
Our partners have all led teams in top-tier firms and acted for leading Australian and foreign corporations and government instrumentalities.
In helping clients manage the everyday demands and challenges that a workforce presents, our focus is responsive, decisive and commercially relevant advice, delivered in the most cost effective way for businesses.
Ultimately, Mills Oakley’s aim is to work through legal issues efficiently, so our clients can get back to doing what they do best as quickly as possible – focussing on core business.
The Mills Oakley workplace relations, employment and safety team offers advice and assistance across all areas of workplace relations, employment and safety law including:
- Termination of employment matters including advice on managing misconduct investigations and disciplinary issues;
- The employment and industrial relations aspects of mergers and acquisitions, sales of businesses and other significant commercial transactions;
- Restructuring of a business and the rights and obligations affecting employers and employees (including managing redundancy and redeployment of employees);
- The treatment of employment and industrial relations issues in insolvencies;
- Drafting and implementation of appropriate contracts and workplace policies into the workplace, including with respect to contractors;
- Advice on implementing appropriate industrial and workplace strategies including managing the enterprise bargaining process (and good faith bargaining requirements under the Fair Work Act);
- Compliance advice in meeting requirements under industrial relations legislation including under the Fair Work Act and modern awards and, where required, representation in Fair Work Australia;
- Advice on compliance with occupational health and safety laws including managing investigations and defending prosecutions by WorkSafe;
- Advice on compliance with anti-discrimination laws at the workplace including on sexual harassment and bullying and victimisation;
- Advice on managing contractors in the workplace and assistance with claims under the Independent Contractors Act, the Owner Drivers and Forestry Contractors Act or claims of “sham” arrangements under the Fair Work Act;
- Advice on legal rights and obligations under contracts of employment or contractor agreements, particularly concerning restraint of trade and breach of confidentiality, and regarding concepts such as “garden leave” and “reasonable notice”; and
- Managing disputation and representation in litigation in all industrial Tribunals and Courts.