Elizabeth has a great depth of experience in advising clients on anti-discrimination and General Protections matters. She has a particular expertise in dealing with adverse action claims, including those based on employee complaints and/or allegations of discrimination.
For many years, Elizabeth has conducted workplace investigations into complex matters of a highly sensitive nature. She provides training in anti-discrimination and anti-bullying principles for all types of workforces, including at management and board level.
She has many years’ experience advising on all types of termination of employment issues, including unfair dismissals, redundancy processes and the use of post-employment restraints to protect employers’ confidential information. She advises on industrial disputes, as well as enterprise bargaining from the earliest stages of negotiation and drafting until agreement approval.
Elizabeth’s clients include higher education institutions, mining companies and contractors, maritime companies, insurers and not-for-profits. She advises clients across the full spectrum of industry sectors.
Clients value her advice because it is exacting, practical, and delivered in a timely and efficient manner, within budget. She advises above all with a view to preventing workplace issues and litigation from arising wherever possible, and to resolving such matters effectively when they do.
Elizabeth’s expertise includes:
- Anti-Discrimination and Equal Opportunity Law – defence of claims and advice on employer obligations and mitigation of risk
- General Protections/adverse action – defence of claims and advice on employer obligations and mitigation of risk
- Enterprise Bargaining including drafting enterprise agreements and assistance with bargaining and approval processes
- Advice on sexual harassment matters
- Workplace investigations including in relation to sensitive and complex matters
- Advice on industrial action and protected action ballot orders
- Enforcement of post-employment restraints and protection of employers’ intellectual property
- Drafting and review of employer policies and procedures
- Anti-discrimination, anti-harassment and anti-bullying training
- Drafting employment contracts and advising on contractual disputes
- Completing a comprehensive investigation of issues within a large employer involving multiple complainants and many discrete complaints, leading to a successful resolution of workplace cultural issues.
- Providing multiple advices on complex employment law issues for employers in the mining and maritime sectors involving long service leave entitlements, historical employment claims, and the extra-territorial application of Australian employment law.
- Advice on the defence of a novel discrimination claim in the State Administrative Tribunal of Western Australia.
- Instructing solicitor on the successful defence and resolution of unfair dismissal claims in the Fair Work Commission (mining sector employers).
- Providing complex risk mitigation advice on sensitive matters involving the potential termination of executive-level staff.
- Advice on the management of multiple internal complaints governed by a complex enterprise agreement dispute resolution process.
- Advice in relation to enterprise bargaining processes (not-for-profit sector).
- Advice in relation to protected action ballot orders (maritime sector).
Professional Memberships/Accreditation & Activities
Member: Law Society of Western Australia
Member: Industrial Relations Society of Western Australia
- Workplace Relations, Employment & Safety ,