Patrick has extensive experience in assisting businesses and not for profit organisations navigate complex employment matters and his expertise in workers compensation, work health and safety, and employment law means that he can provide comprehensive and strategic workplace relations advice. Patrick has a particular focus on assisting larger and self-insured employers in managing their workplace obligations and product safety.
Patrick also brings expertise as Counsel and regularly advises and represents clients in the South Australia Employment Tribunal and Fair Work Commission.
Patrick is well known, not just for his expertise, but his personable approach, being responsive to clients, and being able to achieve outcomes that meet client’s objectives in challenging and complex matters.
Patrick’s expertise includes:
- Workers Compensation and self-insurance
- Work health & safety
- Employment law
- Conduct of a matter on behalf of the Department for Child Protection that resulted in a decision from the Court of Appeal that has led to significant changes in respect of the law of mutuality in workers compensation in South Australia.
- Appeared as junior counsel before the Court of Appeal representing the Department for Education in a matter concerning statutory interpretation of the Return to Work Act 2014 (SA).
- Acted for Counsel for one of the parties in respect of an inquest into the death of a worker in a remote location.
- Assisted a client in the viticulture industry who underwent an audit imposed by a third party because of the third parties’ obligations to report to the Federal Government under the modern slavery laws.
- Assisting a mergers and acquisitions team with respect to a transaction in which our client’s business was purchased by an overseas pension fund.
- Conduct of a matter with respect to the prosecution arising from the death of an apprentice worker.
- Assisting in the provision of a series of full day training seminars with respect to product safety to a well-known defence contractor.
- Counsel for an appeal to the Full Bench of the South Australian Employment Tribunal concerning interpretation of section 4(11) of the Return to Work Act 2014 (SA).
Professional Memberships / Accreditation & Activities
- Industrial Relations Society of South Australia Inc.
- Leading Workers Compensation Lawyers (Defendant) – South Australia, since 2018
- Listed Lawyer, Occupational Health & Safety Law, The Best Lawyers in Australia 2020
- Workplace Relations, Employment & Safety ,