Daniel has a particular focus on contentious industrial relations and employment issues in a range of industries including the maritime/offshore, rail, construction/infrastructure and mining services industries (all commodities, including black coal). His work includes both strategic advice as well as litigating matters that require Court or Tribunal resolution.
He brings particular expertise in enterprise bargaining strategy and mitigating risks associated with industrial action, managing union involvement in the workplace and assisting with wholescale workforce culture change programs. Daniel also has particular experience in advising on, and enforcing (including litigating), post-employment restraints.
Daniel 'provides practical advice based on a holistic approach' (Asia-Pacific Legal 500, 2019). He is renowned for his innovative approach to industrial relations, first hand knowledge of leading cases and what they practically mean for business and understanding the client’s particular commercial needs in order to accurately inform and drive workplace strategy.
- Strategic industrial relations advice (including wholesale workplace culture change programs)
- Enterprise agreement making (all aspects)
- Workforce restructuring (including transfer of business issues)
- Managing unions in the workplace (including complex union coverage issues and dealing with right of entry)
- Dealing with industrial action (protected and unprotected).
- Advising on statutory obligations (including enterprise agreement and Modern Awards)
- Defending unfair dismissal and general protection (adverse action) claims
- Preparation of employment contracts and policies and procedures
- Executive terminations and post-employment restraints
- Providing advice and representation in relation to claims of sexual harassment and discrimination in the workplace (including Court and Tribunal proceedings).
- Representing the largest global offshore vessel operator in a watershed strategy to terminate an existing in-term enterprise agreement and implement a replacement agreement, by way of a single ballot to the large offshore workforce.
- Advising an ASX-listed mining services provider on complex transfer of business issues relating to the appointment as operation and maintenance contractor for one of Australia’s largest gold mining projects.
- Advising a global company on the enforcement of post-employment restraints in Western Australia in relation to its global business development manager, which was governed by Connecticut law (USA).
- Providing advice to an international FPSO operator looking at taking over facility management and operations of a project in the North-West of Western Australia.
- Successfully acting for a labour hire company in relation to union coverage issues in the Pilbara region of Western Australia.
- Advising and representing companies in response to both instances of unprotected (unlawful) industrial action and protected (lawful) industrial action.
- Recommended Lawyer, Labour and Employment, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific.
- Recommended Lawyer, Employment Law (Employer Representation), Doyle’s Guide.
- Workplace Relations, Employment & Safety ,