Who we are
We have a proven track record advising on iconic, high profile developments in the commercial, residential and infrastructure space.
Legal work in the construction and property development industries requires a comprehensive understanding of process and risk, and an ability to apply this understanding to all aspects of a project. Our team has dedicated experts in their respective fields and for both transactional matters and disputes, ensuring that clients get the highest quality advice and representation.
We assist with the negotiation, drafting and entry into effective development and construction contracts that meet clients’ commercial risk allocation requirements. Our advice on potential claims and disputes is focussed on maximising our clients’ positions, while minimising expenditure on costly disputes.
What we do
We are known for obtaining outstanding outcomes for clients in relation to both transactions and disputes.
We advise on infrastructure and project finance matters, as well as strata and community development matters.
Our expertise includes:
- Drafting/negotiation of contracts for commercial, industrial, retail and residential developments and transport infrastructure
- Advising on key legislation affecting the construction and transport industries, particularly Security of Payment
- Advice on tendering, probity, project briefs and contractual arrangements between the public and private sector
- Risk reviews of contract documentation for bid purposes including drafting lists of exclusions, clarifications
- Advising on contract management, compliance, risk management and performance monitoring
- Dispute resolution in all major jurisdictions including mediation, expert determination, adjudication, dispute review boards, arbitration and litigation.
Our front-end recent matters include:
- Advising Winten on its $1bn commercial tower at 1 Denison Street, North Sydney
- Advising Coca Cola Amatil on its $500m redevelopment at the Richlands site in Queensland
- Advising an AMP Capital/ Billbergia joint venture developer on the $500m Brisbane Skytower, set to be Brisbane’s tallest tower.
Our dispute-related recent matters include:
- Advising Arup in relation to a $300m dispute over the design and construction of the Gold Coast Light Rail
- Advising BMD in relation to delay, disruption and variation pricing claims and dispute resolution on the Early Works and Bridge Works components on the $4.36bn Pacific Highway Upgrade Project.
Recent matters include:
- Acting for Charter Hall on the construction documentation, issues advice and dispute resolution of almost all of its development group’s projects
- Acting for Investa Property Group on the construction documentation of multiple significant commercial office building upgrades/refurbishments including: 1 Market Street, Sydney, 120 Collins Street, Melbourne, 400 George Street, Sydney, 140 Creek Street, Brisbane, 255 Elizabeth Street, Sydney, 259 Queen Street, Brisbane, and 410 Ann Street, Brisbane
- Providing complete project delivery advice to the Billbergia/AMP Joint Venture’s mixed use Skytower development, set to be the tallest in Brisbane.
Recent matters include:
- Advising Laing O’Rourke in Federal Court and Supreme Court litigation
- Advising UGL and managing dispute resolution strategy and contract renegotiation with Transport for New South Wales on a $250m digital radio train system upgrade contract for the greater Sydney rail network
- Advising Stockland in Supreme Court litigation with Lend Lease and Owners Corporation regarding the Abode residential development
- Advising GPT in a major and ongoing Federal Court proceeding regarding construction and design defects and project delays in a $20m dispute
- Advising GrainCorp on design and disputes arising with contractors at Burren Junction, Carrington and Cooks River silos projects
- Advising University of Canberra in an expert determination in relation to a design and performance dispute with the head contractor on the Health Hub development at the Bruce Campus.
Infrastructure & Project Finance
Recent matters include:
- Representing Serco in the Fiona Stanley Hospital PPP in Western Australia, the South Australian Prisons Project and Sydney Metro Project PPPs and in the Villawood and Christmas Island Detention Centre Projects
- Advising Brisbane Airport Corporation on its $35m Runway Overlay Upgrade of its existing main runway, with works progressing at night while runway remained operational during daytime
- Advised on D&C and O&M Contracts for the Airport Link Project and ODP1 projects, Brisbane.
We provide expert advice and representation regarding strata and community development matters in NSW, ACT, Queensland, Victoria and Western Australia.
Our team comprises premier residential building defects lawyers, with extensive experience acting for owners’ corporations (and lot owners) against builders, developers, sub-contractors, designers, certifiers and others. The team runs major claims in all jurisdictions, including the NSW Supreme Court, NSW Court of Appeal and the High Court of Australia, as well as other state and federal jurisdictions. At the same time, our depth of experience helps us provide efficient and cost-effective solutions for even the smallest of claims such as in the NSW Local Court and NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT).
We also have experience in advising on amending By-Laws and Community and Building Management Statements, dealing with various management disputes including building management contract disputes, and various types of strata and community disputes (including in NCAT’s Strata and Community Schemes Division).