Recognised as a leading lawyer in Australia and New Zealand, Peter brings extensive experience to the Mills Oakley national Building, Construction & Infrastructure team. He has advised a broad range of participants in the construction industry both initially in the UK and, since 1995, in Australia.
Peter has dealt with significant disputes throughout his career, whether on appeal or before various courts at first instance. He is sought out for his strategic advice and documentation skills in major projects. Peter has been involved in the delivery of notable industrial, residential and commercial projects across Australia.
Peter’s experience includes alternative dispute resolution, statutory claims including those brought under the Home Building Act 1989 (NSW) and the Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act 1999 (NSW). He has acted in arbitrations, mediations, expert determinations as well as matters requiring urgent interlocutory orders including injunctions and matters before all courts.
Peter is a focused, commercial and trusted advisor to his clients.
Peter’s expertise includes:
- Project advice
- Providing guidance on best form of contract or agreement
- Analysis of cost effective risk profiles
- Drafting terms and provisions of all forms of agreements and negotiating outcomes
- Project analysis
- Advising on particular issues that arise during a current project in order to minimise risk and conflict
- Assistance in protecting client project interests and outcomes
- Project dispute
- Advising and providing representation in all forms of disputes including Security of Payment Act claims, schedules, adjudications and enforcement, mediation, arbitration, NCAT and Local, District and Supreme Court proceedings
- Advising on and drafting project documentation for the multi-million dollar and major refurbishment of an iconic Sydney landmark hotel.
- Advising a government agency on construction related issues in documentation for renewable energy sites throughout Australia.
- Providing analysis and advice on project issues in major mixed development projects to assist the client achieving its project return.
- Providing analysis on a distressed project to optimise return through potential termination or replacement of builder or enforcement of contractual entitlements.
- Representing defendants in two related Supreme Court cases (ongoing) regarding the breakdown in a 15 year joint venture resulting in a multi-million dollar claim against the represented defendants and dealing with the newly introduced Section 66Zl of the Conveyancing Act 1919.
- Representing a key shareholder, director and related company in a successful Supreme Court action to recover over $10m in damages arising from a development project in Sydney.
- Representing an Owners Corporation in Supreme Court proceedings that involves novel law in tort and a very significant damages claim.
Professional Memberships / Accreditation & Activities
- Recommended Lawyer, Construction, Doyle’s Guide.
- Projects & Construction ,