Andrew has specialised in construction for 28 years, having commenced this specialisation in Hong Kong in 1990.
Andrew negotiates and drafts construction contract and all related documentation for major commercial, retail, industrial and residential construction projects as well as for Capex projects for major building asset owners. He advises on the full range of contractual and commercial issues which arise regularly in construction projects in order to manage, minimise or avoid unnecessary disputes and costs. Andrew is a skilled litigator, regularly acting for developers, contractors, subcontractors and other industry participants in all forms of dispute resolution.
Andrew is renowned for having a pragmatic commercial focus and a deep understanding of the risks involved in the construction and development process and their appropriate allocation in all types of construction projects.
His clients include institutional and ASX listed developers and major contractor companies including Investa Property Group, Mirvac, Winten Property Group, 151 Property and AW Edwards.
Andrew’s expertise includes:
- Negotiation and drafting of all types of construction contract and all related contract documentation including contracts based on Australian Standards or drafted specifically to client requirements
- Preparation of risk reviews of contract documentation for tendering purposes including drafting lists of exclusions, clarifications and negotiation points
- Advice on tendering, probity, project briefs and contractual arrangements
- Preparing and creating all interim contract arrangements for pre ordering, early commencement including via letters of intent
- Advising on key legislation affecting the building, construction and infrastructure industries
- Advising on issues management in relation to alternative dispute resolution
- Statutory claims, including those brought under the Home Building Act 1989 (NSW) and the Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act 1999 (NSW)
- Acting in arbitrations, mediations, expert determinations as well as matters requiring urgent interlocutory orders including injunctions and matters before all courts.
- Acting for Winten Property Group’s landmark $1bn Denison development in North Sydney including negotiating and documenting the D&C Contract once with one major contractor which was then terminated and negotiated and documented with Multiplex.
- Investa’s major upgrades of commercial building assets at 255 Elizabeth Street, 120 Collins Street, 295 Ann Street and 347 Kent Street.
- 100+ Capex and Opex expenditure contracts for Investa Property Group over all its over 40 commercial building assets.
- Mirvac’s major upgrade of its commercial building asset 31 Market Street.
- Major upgrade projects for retail trust Aventus’s shopping centre assets at Caringbah, Tuggerah and Castle Hill.
- AW Edwards’s contracts for approximately $500m in major Data Centre constructions with Air Trunk, Digital Realty and Equinix as well as infrastructure projects for Sydney Trains, TfNSW and Sydney Cricket Ground Trust.
- The Shore School’s new physical education and sports centre at the School’s prestigious North Sydney campus.
- Recommended Lawyer, Construction, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific.