Scott has practised in construction law since 1990. He practises at both the front end and the back end, bringing a deep experience in the construction and engineering industries and advising Australia’s leading companies in these sectors on all aspects of construction contracts and documentation. He also represents clients in disputes including litigation, arbitration and expert determination and has considerable expertise in the operation of the Security of Payment legislation.
He is renowned for providing exceptional client service, sharp legal and strategic advice and know-how in successfully steering and resolving complex technical and engineering disputes.
He is also the current author of “Building and Construction Law” for Thomson Reuters’ Laws of Australia and is also on the editorial board of the Australian Construction Law Newsletter and the Australian Construction Law Bulletin. Scott is an accredited mediator, expert and adjudicator.
Scott’s expertise includes:
- Advising on all forms of construction procurement
- Drafting and negotiating the full spectrum of construction related documentation
- Alternative dispute resolution
- Statutory claims including those brought under the Home Building Act 1989 (NSW) and the Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act 1999 (NSW)
- Acting in arbitration, mediations, expert determinations as well as matters requiring urgent interlocutory orders including injunctions and matters before all courts.
- Representing the co-owners of AMP/Brookfield/GPT in the redevelopment of Darling Park and Cockle Bay Wharf.
- Advising AVEO Retirement Homes on and preparing a range of construction documents for use on a $70,000,000 retirement village development project in Norwest Sydney.
- Acting for Coca Cola Amatil drafting and negotiating supply and install and design and construct contracts for the redevelopment of the Richlands Distribution Centre.
- Advising Crown Constructions for the preparation of a range of construction documents for the iconic ‘Sydney by Crown’ residential development (located at 161 Clarence Street).
- Representing CSR in major litigation and arbitration in respect of the Bushmaster Tank Project.
- Representing GTP in several disputes involving the Wollongong Shopping Centre, Casuarina Project and the MLC Building.
- Acting as an adviser to United Group in respect of disputes with Transport for NSW on the DTRS Project.
Professional Memberships / Accreditation & Activities’
- Recommended Lawyer, Construction, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific.
- Ranked Lawyer (Band 3), Construction, Chambers Asia Pacific.
- Recommended Lawyer, Building & Construction, Doyle’s Guide.
- Recommended Lawyer, Construction/Infrastructure Law, Best Lawyers in Australia.