Greg focuses on dispute resolution for clients in the building, construction and engineering industries.
With nearly 30 years’ experience in legal practice, he is experienced in litigation, expert determination, mediation, arbitration and adjudication concerning a wide range of issues arising on construction projects that commonly give rise to disputes and is accustomed to handling complex claims and settlements.
Greg uses legal processes to full effect to achieve strategic outcomes for clients. His extensive experience acting for a wide range of industry participants including principals, contractors, consultants, insurers and liquidators gives him perspective and valuable insights into construction disputes and how best to resolve them.
Greg regularly lectures on construction law topics for the Civil Contractors Federation (Qld).
Greg has been involved in dispute resolution concerning major construction projects including the Queensland Children’s Hospital, Gold Coast Light Rail, Wembley Stadium, major commercial developments and mining and coal seam gas projects.
Greg has been described in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific as ‘one of the best in the Brisbane market’ and as ‘detailed, easy to work with’.
Greg’s expertise includes:
- Issues arising under construction and engineering contracts including delay related claims (extensions of time, liquidated damages and delay costs), variations, latent conditions, defective works and materials, contract interpretation issues, and terminations of contracts
- All forms of dispute resolution under construction and engineering contracts including expert determination, litigation, arbitration and alternative dispute resolution including mediation
- Security of Payment including payment claims, payment schedules, adjudication applications, and adjudication responses
- Jurisdictional challenges to adjudication decisions and decisions of the Queensland Building and Construction Commission
- Licensing laws under the Queensland Building and Construction Commission Act 1991
- Building products laws under the Queensland Building and Construction Commission Act 1991 including in relation to Aluminium Composite Panels (ACP)
- Professional negligence issues in relation to construction and engineering professionals including designers, architects, engineers, superintendents and loss adjusters
- Project advice in relation to contractual entitlements and statutory entitlements including risk mitigation and contract administration
- Acting for an international design consultant in relation to the $300m Queensland Supreme Court proceedings concerning the Gold Coast Light Rail Project and in relation to several multi-million dollar adjudications concerning the Gold Coast Light Rail Project.
- Acting for a major civil contractor in the Supreme Court of Queensland concerning a multi-million dollar contractual dispute over a mine site.
- Acting for a major contractor in proceedings in the Federal Court of Australia concerning calls on securities under a construction contract.
- Acting for a national aged care provider in relation to various disputes concerning the construction of retirement villages and aged care homes across Australia.
- Advising parties on regulatory issues under relevant legislation affecting the building and construction industry including licensing and building products laws under the Queensland Building and Construction Commission Act 1991.
- Acting in multiple proceedings to set aside decisions of the QBCC.
Professional Memberships / Accreditation & Activities
- Recognised Lawyer, Construction/ Infrastructure Law, The Best Lawyers in Australia
- Recommended Lawyer, Construction Law, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific
- Recommended Lawyer, Construction (QLD), Doyle’s Guide
- Finalist, Partner of the Year (Open category), Australasian Law Awards
- Finalist, Partner of the Year (Construction and Infrastructure), Australasian Law Awards
- Projects & Construction ,