Greg has over 23 years’ experience in legal practice. His practice focuses on the construction and engineering industries and he acts for some of Australia’s leading companies. Greg practices in the areas of dispute resolution, security of payment and the preparation of construction contracts and associated documentation.
Greg is highly experienced in handling complex, high value disputes relating to construction and infrastructure projects. He has acted for clients in relation to significant infrastructure projects including the Lady Cilento Children’s Hospital, Gold Coast Light Rail, the UQ Oral Health Project and Coal Seam Gas infrastructure in Queensland. Greg has acted in relation to significant international infrastructure projects including London’s Wembley National Stadium.
Greg has been described in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific as ‘one of the best in the Brisbane market’ and as ‘detailed, easy to work with.’
Greg’s expertise includes:
- Issues arising under construction and engineering contracts including delay related claims (extensions of time, liquidated damages and delay costs), variations, latent conditions, defective works and materials, contract interpretation issues, termination and dispute resolution
- All forms of dispute resolution under construction and engineering contracts including expert determination, litigation, arbitration and alternative dispute resolution including mediation
- Security of Payment including payment claims, payment schedules, adjudication applications and adjudication responses
- Jurisdictional challenges to adjudication decisions and decisions of the Queensland Building and Construction Commission
- Licensing laws under the Queensland Building and Construction Commission Act 1991
- Building products laws under the Queensland Building and Construction Commission Act 1991
- Professional negligence issues in relation to construction and engineering professionals including designers, architects and engineers
- Project advice in relation to contractual entitlements and statutory entitlements including risk mitigation
- Drafting and negotiating construction contracts and consultancy agreements
- Aged care and retirement village construction contracts.
- Acting for Arup in relation to the $300m Queensland Supreme Court proceedings against McConnell Dowell concerning the Gold Coast Light Rail Project and in relation to several multi-million dollar adjudications concerning the Gold Coast Light Rail Project.
- Acting for Laing O’Rourke in the Supreme Court of Queensland concerning a multi-million dollar contractual dispute over CSG infrastructure.
- Acting for Laing O’Rourke in proceedings in the Federal Court of Australia concerning calls on securities under a construction contract.
- Acting for the TriCare group of companies in relation to contract preparation and negotiation for retirement villages and aged care homes and in relation to issues on projects across Australia.
- Advising parties on regulatory issues under relevant legislation affecting the building and construction industry including licensing and building products laws under the Queensland Building and Construction Commission Act 1991.
- Acting in multiple proceedings to set aside decisions of the QBCC.
- Advising on contractual issues arising under construction contracts and consultancy agreements.
- Recommended Lawyer, Construction/ Infrastructure Law, Best Lawyers in Australia.
- Recommended Lawyer, Construction Law, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific.
- Recommended Lawyer, Construction, Doyle’s Guide.
- Finalist, Australasian Law Awards, Partner of the Year 2017 (Open category).
- Finalist, Australasian Law Awards, Partner of the Year 2017 (Construction and infrastructure).