Greg’s practice focuses on dispute resolution for clients in the construction industry. With over 26 years’ experience in legal practice, he is highly experienced in litigation, expert determination, mediation and security of payment. Greg uses legal processes to full effect to achieve strategic outcomes for clients.
Greg regularly deals with a wide range of issues arising under construction contracts and is accustomed to handling complex claims relating to delays, variations, defects, latent conditions, payment claims and termination. Greg is experienced in professional negligence matters concerning design issues and building products; QBCC licensing issues including challenges to licence suspensions; subcontractors charges; and in dealing with issues arising from calls on bank guarantees and other securities. Greg has been involved in many adjudications and in challenges to adjudication decisions.
Greg has been described in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific as ‘one of the best in the Brisbane market’ and as ‘detailed, easy to work with.’
Greg’s expertise includes:
- Issues arising under construction and engineering contracts including delay related claims (extensions of time, liquidated damages and delay costs), variations, latent conditions, defective works and materials, contract interpretation issues, and terminations of contracts.
- All forms of dispute resolution under construction and engineering contracts including expert determination, litigation, arbitration and alternative dispute resolution including mediation.
- Security of Payment including payment claims, payment schedules, adjudication applications, and adjudication responses.
- Jurisdictional challenges to adjudication decisions and decisions of the Queensland Building and Construction Commission.
- Licensing laws under the Queensland Building and Construction Commission Act 1991.
- Building products laws under the Queensland Building and Construction Commission Act 1991 including in relation to Aluminium Composite Panels (ACP).
- Professional negligence issues in relation to construction and engineering professionals including designers, architects, engineers, superintendents and loss adjusters.
- Project advice in relation to contractual entitlements and statutory entitlements including risk mitigation and contract administration.
- Acting for an international design consultant in relation to the $300m Queensland Supreme Court proceedings concerning the Gold Coast Light Rail Project and in relation to several multi-million dollar adjudications concerning the Gold Coast Light Rail Project.
- Acting for a major civil contractor in the Supreme Court of Queensland concerning a multi-million dollar contractual dispute over a mine site.
- Acting for a major contractor in proceedings in the Federal Court of Australia concerning calls on securities under a construction contract.
- Acting for a national aged care provider in relation to various disputes concerning the construction of retirement villages and aged care homes across Australia.
- Advising parties on regulatory issues under relevant legislation affecting the building and construction industry including licensing and building products laws under the Queensland Building and Construction Commission Act 1991.
- Acting in multiple proceedings to set aside decisions of the QBCC.
Professional Memberships / Accreditation & Activities
- Recommended Lawyer, Construction/ Infrastructure Law, The Best Lawyers in Australia.
- Recommended Lawyer, Construction Law, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific.
- Recommended Lawyer, Construction (QLD), Doyle’s Guide.
- Finalist, Partner of the Year (Open category), Australasian Law Awards.
- Finalist, Partner of the Year (Construction and Infrastructure), Australasian Law Awards.