John has over 20 years’ experience advising clients in all aspects of Family Law including complex property claims both in Australia and overseas and children’s disputes. He has extensive experience in dealing with high net worth individuals and property matters including companies and trusts and seeks to achieve a commercial resolution of property matters in a tax effective manner.
John also has an interest in the area of dispute resolution and is a trained mediator and Collaborative Lawyer. He is renowned for providing exceptional client service and tailored advice based on the particular factual circumstances of the case, and acts discreetly for private clients and families in complex and sensitive family law financial disputes.
John has written published articles and delivers seminars on various family law topic, and makes regular appearances on 3AW discussing family law and related topics. He has been a Family Law Accredited Specialist since 1999.
John’s areas of expertise include:
- Property settlements and commercial advice
- Restructuring family property for high net worth individuals in a tax effective manner
- Child-related issues including with whom a child should live, schooling issues, interstate and overseas relocations
- Child Support
- Spousal Maintenance
- Divorce Applications
- Injunctions and Personal Protection Orders
- Preparation of Financial Agreements for married, de facto and same sex couples.
- Resolving a significant property settlement outside of Court involving the sale of a family’s private company to an overseas consortium which realised the separated parties approximately $1bn in wealth.
- Advising a client in respect to a significant property settlement in circumstances in which assets were held in a number of countries, and which involved significant discovery and a forensic approach in order to quantify the asset pool.
- Advising a client following a dispute as to the choice of school their child was to attend.
Professional Memberships / Accreditation & Activities
- Recommended Lawyer, Family Law, Doyle’s Guide.
Professional Memberships, Accreditations & Activities
- Joint Chair of the Family Law Advisory Committee (LIV).
- Past Member of Courts Practice Committee of the Family Law Section of the Law Institute of Victoria.
- Member of Family Law Section – LIV.
- Member of Family Law Section – Law Council of Australia.
- Family Law ,