Catherine is a real estate specialist who is widely recognised and highly regarded within the property industry for her expertise in leasing.
Catherine has a deep understanding of both the property industry and her clients’ businesses and uses this understanding to develop solutions in deal negotiations.
She is brought into projects early because of her ability to provide solutions to complex property issues and to work collaboratively as part of project teams. Catherine also works with her clients to assist them to develop innovative ways to provide their services to the marketplace.
In addition, Catherine is experienced in providing a wide range of landlord portfolio leasing and property management services in the commercial, retail and industrial sectors including precedent management and development. Catherine and her team manage lease negotiations across national portfolios to ensure consistency of approach.
Catherine’s clients include Real Estate Investment Trusts, foreign and domestic property funds, investment managers and domestic and international corporations.
Catherine’s expertise includes:
- Acting for landlords on the leasing of their assets including commercial office, industrial or retail assets and portfolios of assets
- Major leasing (including leasing prior to construction of the building) and stream leasing
- Establishing systems for the management of volume leasing
- Preparation and management of precedent documents
- Lease and lease dispute advice including market rent reviews, make good and defaults
- Agreements to lease and leases for purpose built premises
- Redevelopment of retail precincts at the base of commercial office towers including the exercise of demolition and relocation clauses
- Advising on issues arising with the ownership and management of property assets including preparation and negotiation of property management agreements
- ‘Green’ or environmentally sustainable leasing
- Acquisition and sale of commercial office blocks, industrial and bulky goods parks and retail shopping centres.
- Acting for institutional landlords including Investa Property Group, Leader AutaInvest (CIC), Australian Unity, KWAP and Mirvac in respect of commercial office and retail leasing.
- Acting for Investa Property Group in respect of the lease to Coca-Cola Amatil & Coca Cola South Pacific of its Australian HQ.
- Acting for Winten Property Group as landlord in relation to the leasing of 1 Denison St, North Sydney (pre building construction), including the lease to Channel Nine.
- Acting for Switzerland-based AFIAA Foundation in respect of the redevelopment of the retail precinct of an inner city commercial office building.
- Acting for Investa Property Group in respect of the redevelopment of a major CBD retail site, including negotiation of the leases to Woolworths and JD Sport.
- Working with Investa Property Group to develop the Investa Performance Lease (a sustainable/green commercial office lease).
- Working with Better Buildings Partnership/ the City of Sydney and Investa Property Group to develop Green Leasing Standards for commercial office buildings.
- Acting for ARK Retirement Villages in respect of complex leasing arrangements in respect of six retirement villages.
Professional Memberships / Accreditation & Activities
- Recommended Lawyer, Real Estate, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific.
- Recommended Lawyer, Real Property Law, The Best Lawyers in Australia.
- Recommended Lawyer, Property, Doyle’s Guide.
- Member of the Property Law Advisory Committee to the NSW Law Society Accredited Specialist Programme’s Board.
- Author – Leasing and Land Tax Modules for LexisNexis Practical Legal Guidance.
- Fellow of Australian Property Institute.
- Partner of the Year Finalist , Real Estate, Lawyers Weekly Partner of the Year