Simon has extensive experience in corporate and resources work and has acted on some of Western Australia’s most significant and high profile transactions, including major infrastructure developments, multi billion dollar takeovers, complex joint ventures and numerous asset and company acquisitions (particularly in the resources sector).
He has particular expertise in resources project development and operations, takeovers/mergers, construction contracting, company and asset acquisitions/disposals and joint ventures.
He is known for his strategic and practical approach, ability to deliver outstanding outcomes in complex matters, as well as his deep industry knowledge and exceptional client service.
Simon acts for a wide range of local and international companies as well as government entities. His clients include multinational chemical company Yara, national building and construction group Pindan as well as a broad cross section of mining companies and businesses that service the resources sector.
Simon’s expertise includes:
- Mergers and acquisitions (public and private)
- Mining/infrastructure project development and operations
- Construction contracting
- Farm-in and joint venture arrangements
- Land tenure and access
- Sales and offtake arrangements
- Procurement, supply, services and other commercial contracts
- Royalty arrangements
- Corporate governance.
- Acting for Intermin Resources Limited in relation to its proposed merger with MacPhersons Resources Limited.
- Acting for Yara Pilbara Fertilisers in relation to major shutdown works for its Burrup Liquid Ammonia Plant.
- Acting for Metals X Limited on its acquisition of the Grosvenor and Peak Hill projects and the takeover of Aditya Birla Minerals Limited.
- Advising Intermin Resources Limited in relation to a risk/profit sharing arrangement with its mining contractor relating to the Teal Gold Mine.
- Acting for a multinational company in relation to the long-term operation and maintenance of a multi-user industrial water supply scheme and associated electricity network.
- Advising Pindan Contracting on a joint venture in relation to the design and construction of non-process infrastructure for Hamersley Iron’s Yandicoogina Pocket and Billiard South Iron Ore Project.
- Advising Shandong Ruifu Lithium on an off-take agreement for the supply of direct shipping ore from Pilbara Minerals (including a pre-payment arrangement) as well as in relation to an off-take agreement for spodumene concentrate.
Professional Memberships / Accreditation & Activities
- Member of the mining legislation committee of the Association of Mining and Exploration Companies.
- Member of the Australian Drilling Industry Association.
- Member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors.
- Member of the Law Society of Western Australia.
- Former trustee of the Committee for Economic Development of Australia.
- Recommended Individual, Corporate and M&A, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific.