Graeme is a respected senior practitioner and one of only two Australian lawyers ranked as “Senior Statespersons” for Banking & Finance in the Chambers Asia-Pacific directory. He has practiced exclusively in banking and finance law for his whole career and has widely recognised skills in property finance, structured finance, international finance and workouts.
At his previous firm he was the leader at various times of the Sydney and Melbourne practices. Graeme has recently moved to Mills Oakley and is charged with building our National banking & finance team.
Graeme has a deep understanding of the real estate, development and construction industries and brings significant synergies with Mills Oakley’s substantial planning, construction and property practices. Graeme’s principal clients include banks, non-bank financial institutions, infrastructure and property companies and national and global players in the property development and funds management space.
Graeme’s expertise includes:
- Projects and infrastructure finance
- Structured property finance
- Syndicated secured debt
- Restructuring and workouts.
- Acting for China Investment Corporation, the Chinese sovereign wealth fund in relation to its $1.5 billion acquisition facility in connection with their $2.45 billion winning bid for the Investa Property Trust.
- Acting for Brookfield Properties on the structuring and documentation of senior construction and term debt financing for its circa $1bn 405 Bourke Street development in the context of its joint venture with ISPT.
- Acting for TfNSW and RTA on all finance aspects of the Gateway stage of WestConnex.
- Acting for Sydney Local Health District on all finance and project aspects of its long term dispute with the developer of Royal Prince Alfred Private Hospital.
- Acting for Wharton Properties on the establishment of 2 innovative trust structures for development and agricultural assets.
- Acting for Canberra Airport on the refinance of its circa $750m senior secured debt.
- Acting for Brisbane Airport on the refinance of its circa $600m senior secured debt.
- Advising Mitsubishi Estate Asia on the restructure of its investment in LendLease’s circa $1bn Circular Quay Tower Project.
Professional Memberships / Accreditation & Activities
- Recognised Lawyer, Distressed Investing and Debt Trading Practice and Insolvency and Reorgnisation Law, The Best Lawyers in Australia
- Ranked Lawyer, (Band 1), Banking & Finance and Property Finance, Chambers Asia-Pacific Lawyers.
- Ranked Lawyer, Senior Statespersons, Banking & Finance: Property Finance, Chambers Asia-Pacific Lawyers.
- Recommended Individual, Banking & Finance, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific.
- Leading Lawyer, Banking & Finance, Doyle’s Guide.
- Member, Turnaround Management Association and Presenter in Certified Turnaround Practitioner Course.
- Member, Banking & Financial Services Law Association Opinions Committee.
- Banking & Financial Institutions ,
- Energy, Mining & Resources ,
- Public Sector ,
- Projects & Construction ,
- Property ,