Gavin has over 20 years of experience advising clients on corporate and commercial law matters.
He advises publicly and privately owned corporate clients on both regulated and unregulated transactions, including fundraising, acquisitions, divestments, investments and restructuring.
Gavin is recognised as a specialist in advising companies on managing risks, liabilities and opportunities in commercial contracts.
Gavin’s career experience includes working as in-house legal counsel for Qantas Airways Limited (an ASX 50 company). From this, he brings a first-hand appreciation of the importance of providing sensible, pragmatic advice that satisfies commercial drivers and achieves desired business outcomes.
Gavin is valued by clients and their advisors for his ability to find practical solutions to legal and commercial problems.
He is the Author and Editor of the LexisNexis Practical Guidance series on private treaty transactions, takeovers and schemes of arrangement.
Before joining Mills Oakley in 2012, Gavin’s career included roles with leading global law firms in Sydney and Perth, in a specialist corporate advisory practice and with Qantas as in-house counsel.
Gavin’s expertise includes:
- Health and aged care
- Mining Services
- Advising on various initial public offerings and applications to list on NSX and ASX.
- Advised on the successful takeover defence of ASX-listed entity, Universal Coal plc.
- Advised on long term aviation contracts for Qantas Airways Limited and Babcock International Group.
- Advised on numerous cross-border leasing transactions involving aircraft to be operated in Australia and East Timor.
- Advised on competitive bid for coal producing assets in New South Wales.
- Advised on two spin-offs and compliance listings on ASX.
- Advised on a sell down of equity to an international acquirer of an Australian contractor to the Department of Defence.
- Advised on the acquisition of tenements in Western Australia and South Africa.
- Ranked Lawyer, Band 2, Aviation, Chambers Asia-Pacific.
- Recommended Lawyer, Corporate & M&A, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific.
- Recommended Lawyer, Aviation, Asia Pacific Legal 500.
- M&A / Corporate Advisory ,