Andrew is a transactional tax lawyer with nearly 20 years’ experience advising on major M&A, property and infrastructure transactions.
He is recognised as a leading stamp duty and GST specialist, providing advice on the full range of business and property transactions.
He is known for providing exceptional client service as well as his commercial approach, his ability to explain complex taxation legislation and concepts in simple terms and his ability to resolve disputes with tax and revenue authorities.
Andrew’s clients include major insurers, property developers and landowners, domestic and foreign technology companies, family offices and high net wealth individuals.
Andrew has been listed as a Leading Lawyer for Tax in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2019 and is acknowledged in the directory as, "at the top of his field when it comes to stamp duty and GST issues".
Andrew’s expertise includes:
- Stamp duty
- Land tax
- Employment taxes
- Employee share schemes
- M&A transactions
- Warranty & indemnity insurance
- Specific tax risk insurance
- Tax litigation
- Charities & not-for-profits.
- Advising AIG, Tokio Marine HCC, Ironshore, Liberty International Underwriters, Chubb, The Bond & Credit Co and Ambridge Partners LLC on warranty & indemnity insurance policies.
- Advising Melbourne Racing Club on a range of tax issues associated with the ‘Caulfield Village’ development, including successful carriage of stamp duty litigation in BPG Caulfield Village Pty Ltd v Commissioner of State Revenue  VSC 172.
- Advising Gold Age on stamp duty, including successful carriage of stamp duty litigation in Danvest Pty Ltd & Anor v Commissioner of State Revenue  VSCA 382.
- Advising Shayher Group on stamp duty and GST issues in connection with the W-Hotel in Brisbane.
- Advising QBE on GST in connection with the sale of its travel insurance business to NIB .
- Advising Linfox on stamp duty and GST in connection with acquisition of an intermodal business from Aurizon.
- Advising a range of US technology companies with operations in Australia on employee share schemes.
- Recommended Lawyer, Tax, The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific.