Alexandra co-manages our Brisbane Family and Relationship Law practice. Alex has over 16 years' experience practising exclusively in family law. Her philosophy is simple - highly personalised, commercial and direct advice. She is a people person who is committed to her clients obtaining the earliest possible resolution of the legal issues arising from the beginning or end of a relationship.
Alex places emphasis on ensuring her clients understand all of their options and can make an informed decision in often stressful and difficult circumstances.
Alex has a reputation for acting in High Value and Complex Property matters including cases with businesses, companies (private and publically listed), trusts and taxation issues. Alex has been involved in many cases involving intergenerational family businesses, succession planning and where the divorce of a parent or child affects a broader family dynamic. Alex also has extensive experience about how a loan (documented or not) or gift may be dealt with in a property settlement.
Alex also has a strong parenting practice with a particular interest in personality disorders, psychiatric issues, alienation and drug and alcohol abuse. Alex has experience in mediation, child-inclusive mediation, and litigation about children. She frequently advises about how children’s wishes are taken into account in determining children’s arrangements in separated families.
Alexandra’s expertise includes:
- Litigation in the Family Court of Australia and the Federal Circuit Court of Australia – acting for applicants, respondents, mothers, fathers, wives, husbands, grandparents, step-parents, companies, trusts, partnerships.
- Divorce, separation and relationship breakdowns – including court and non-court based dispute resolution, Family Court appeals, de facto relationships, domestic violence, international disputes, same sex relationships, separation and spousal maintenance.
- Property settlements – including advising high-net-wealth individuals and those with trusts, corporate entities and family businesses.
- Non court based conflict resolution in family law matters – including mediation and arbitration.
- Financial agreements – including structuring and planning prenuptial agreements and cohabitation agreements.
- Children’s issues – including adoption, surrogacy, child abuse, child support, grandparents’ rights and step-parents’ rights, interstate and international relocation, Hague Convention cases, parenting agreements, IVF, gender dysphoria, special medical procedures, personality disorders, drug and alcohol abuse.
- International matters – including assisting Australian expatriates living abroad, cross-border pre-nuptial agreements and property settlements and liaison with leading international family law practices in most jurisdictions.
Professional Memberships/ Accreditation & Activities
- Leading Lawyer, Family & Divorce Law, Doyle’s Guide
- Leading Lawyer, High Value and Complex Property Matters, Doyle’s Guide
- Leading Lawyer, Parenting & Children’s Matters, Doyle’s Guide
- Recommended Lawyer, Family Law, Best Lawyers in Australia
- Australian ACQ5 Family & Divorce Lawyer of the Year in Australia
- Winner of the International Advisory Experts Family Law Award for Australia
- Global Business Magazine Winner of the International Family Law Award
- Member, Family Law Practitioners’ Association
- Member, Child Protection Practitioners Association of Queensland
- Member, Family Law Section of the Law Council of Australia
- Lawyer of the Year, Family Law, Best Lawyers in Australia 2020
- Lawyer of the Year, Family Law, Best Lawyers in Australia 2021
- Winner of Annulment/Family Law Award, Lawyer Monthly Legal Awards
- Family Law ,