Alexandra is a Partner and co-manages our Brisbane Family and Relationship Law practice. Alex has almost 20 years of experience practising exclusively in family law. Her philosophy is simple - highly personalised, commercial and direct advice. She is a people person who is committed to her clients obtaining the earliest possible resolution of the legal issues arising from the beginning or end of a relationship. Alex places emphasis on ensuring her clients understand all of their options and can make an informed decision in often stressful and difficult circumstances. Alex’s expertise and guidance is highly sought after and she is regarded as Preeminent in her field.
Alex has a reputation for acting in high value and complex property matters including cases with businesses, companies (private and publicly listed), trusts and taxation issues. Alex has been involved in many cases involving intergenerational family businesses, succession planning and where the divorce of a parent or child affects a broader family dynamic. Alex also has extensive experience about how a loan (documented or not) or gift may be dealt with in a property settlement.
Alex also has a strong parenting practice with a particular interest in high conflict cases, coercive control, personality disorders, psychiatric issues, alienation and drug and alcohol abuse. Alex has experience in mediation, child-inclusive mediation, and litigation about children. She frequently advises about how children’s wishes are taken into account in determining children’s arrangements in separated families.
Alex is also trained in collaborative law, which is an interest based style of negotiation where former spouses adopt a “settlement only” strategy from the outset, which is reflected in a written agreement between the parties that neither of them will threaten or go to Court. Negotiations occur in a open and facilitated way to achieve a mutually beneficial and agreed outcome. Research shows the collaborative law process sets up former spouses for better co-parenting in the future, fosters openness, cooperation and ensures voices are heard and listened to in the process.
Alexandra’s expertise includes:
- Litigation in the Federal Circuit and Family Court of Australia– acting for applicants, respondents, mothers, fathers, wives, husbands, grandparents, step-parents, companies, trusts, partnerships
- Divorce, separation and relationship breakdowns – including amicable settlements, collaborative law, court and non-court based dispute resolution, Federal Circuit and Family Court appeals, de facto relationships, domestic violence, international disputes, same sex relationships, separation and spousal maintenance
- Property settlements – including advising high-net-wealth individuals and those with trusts, corporate entities and family businesses
- Non court based conflict resolution in family law matters – including collaborative law, mediation and arbitration
- Financial agreements – including structuring and planning prenuptial agreements, during marriage and cohabitation agreements and protection of inter-generational wealth
- Children’s issues – including adoption, surrogacy, child abuse, child support, grandparents’ rights and step-parents’ rights, interstate and international relocation, Hague Convention cases, parenting agreements, IVF, gender dysphoria, special medical procedures, personality disorders, drug and alcohol abuse
- International matters – including assisting Australian expatriates living abroad, cross-border pre-nuptial agreements and property settlements and liaison with leading international family law practices in most jurisdictions
Professional Memberships / Accreditation & Activities
- Preeminent Lawyer, Family & Divorce Law, Doyle’s Guide
- Leading Lawyer, High Value and Complex Property Matters, Doyle’s Guide
- Leading Lawyer, Parenting & Children’s Matters, Doyle’s Guide
- “Lawyer of the Year”, Family Law Mediation, The Best Lawyers in Australia, 2023 edition
- “Lawyer of the Year”, Family Law, The Best Lawyers in Australia 2020 & 2021
- Recognised Lawyer, Family Law and Family Law Mediation, The Best Lawyers in Australia
- Lawyers Monthly Legal Awards Winner (Family Law Australia) 2020 & 2021
- Australian ACQ5 Family & Divorce Lawyer of the Year in Australia
- Winner of the International Advisory Experts Family Law Award for Australia
- Global Business Magazine Winner of the International Family Law Award
- Member, Family Law Practitioners’ Association
- Member, Child Protection Practitioners Association of Queensland
- Member, Family Law Section of the Law Council of Australia
- Member, Queensland Collaborative Law
- Member, Queensland Law Society
- Family Law ,