Who we are
We advise and represent clients in both the contentious and non-contentious aspects of Australian and Asia-Pacific competition and consumer law.
Our clients include major global corporations such as Microsoft, American Express, Mazda, LG Electronics, Frucor Suntory, eBay and Simplot. We advise clients across a range of industries including IT, telecommunications, manufacturing, pharmaceuticals, retail, and financial services on a day to day basis, on all aspects of competition and consumer law.
We have represented clients in some of the most significant cases in each area. We are recognised for our agile and down to earth approach and the depth of our industry and sector expertise.
What we do
Our expertise spans both the contentious and non-contentious aspects of Australian and Asia Pacific competition law, including:
- Merger clearance applications
- Advice on pricing and supply & distribution agreements
- Large-scale internal investigations involving potential regulatory breaches
- Compliance training
- Applications for authorisation and notification of anti-competitive conduct
- Advising on the relationship of Asia Pacific competition laws, as they affect conduct of Australian businesses.
We also advise clients on dealing with regulators, including the ACCC and CDPP in respect of investigations and enforcement and applications for immunity and cooperation. We represent clients in litigation involving alleged breaches of competition and consumer laws, including representing clients in civil and criminal cartel enforcement matters.
- Obtaining merger clearances from the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) – including for Microsoft’s acquisition of Skype, and Simplot’s acquisition of Symington’s brands.
- Obtaining authorisation from the ACCC for collective bargaining and other conduct – including for American Express’ participation in an industry initiative to provide for the use of PINs on card transactions.
- Representing clients in defence of cartel conduct proceedings brought by the ACCC – including acting in Australia’s first criminal prosecution of an individual, and acting for the former sales director of Colgate Palmolive in defence of cartel proceedings in the laundry detergents industry.
- Providing day to day advice and representation to clients such as Microsoft, American Express, Frucor Suntory, LG and Mazda on competition and consumer law matters.