Vera has over 20 years’ experience in acting for numerous charities, religious and not-for-profit organisations.
Vera provides a full suite of commercial services to not-for-profit clients, including protecting commercial arrangements through drafting services agreements, privacy policies, internal policies and procedures, and reviewing grant and other government agreements.
Vera is a sought-after speaker throughout Australia. In the last year she has presented at the Better Boards Conference, Associations Forum’s CEO & Chair Symposium, Legalwise seminars on not-for-profits, and the Australasian Society of Association Executives Conference & Exhibition. She also authored a chapter within Charity Global Guide (2018), published by Thomson Reuters.
Vera’s expertise includes:
- Assisting not-for-profit clients with organisational restructures, mergers and collaborations, regulatory issues, bequests and estate administration and governance issues, all with a view to help boards function more effectively and in a legally compliant manner
- Advising clients on tax exemptions and endorsements, including charity applications, DGR applications and applications for exemptions from State and Territory land tax, stamp duties and Council rates across Australia
- Advising not-for-profits on regulatory matters including ACNC and State regulator enquiries, charitable fundraising licences, lottery permits and compliance with cemetery and funeral fund laws
- As well as her expertise in not-for-profit law, Vera also has expertise in property law, with over 20 years’ experience.
- Successfully implementing an organisational restructure for asset protection for a leading disability charity with an asset pool of approximately $40 million. This drew on expertise in corporate law, tax law, charity law and property law. The team’s work has provided the charity with risk protection tools and enabled investment , by separating assets and operations.
- Advising on the restructure of a New South Wales charity which addresses homelessness. Vera provided advice on the establishment of separate entities and investment funds, to allow individuals to help fund property acquisitions while earning a return. She also made complex submissions to the Office of State Revenue regarding stamp duty and land tax exemptions for the organisation when purchasing property. This included successfully objecting to a duties assessment, saving the client hundreds of thousands of dollars into the future.
- Not-for-Profit & Social Enterprise ,