Luke regularly acts for federal and state government agencies, ASX200 listed companies, impact financiers, non-profits and religious institutions nationally. In addition to his expertise in the not-for-profit sector, Luke has significant experience in insurance law, as well as in commercial transactions and dispute resolution.
Luke has developed a particular expertise assisting institutions in responding to claims of child sexual abuse under a restorative justice framework and in accordance with best practice principles identified by the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse.
Additionally, Luke has been recognised as one of Australia’s leading lawyers representing victims of human trafficking and labour exploitation.
Luke is often called upon by NFPs / charities at times of crisis to assist them to manage governance, operational and reputational issues which have arisen and which are critical to their survival.
Luke is the founder and former managing partner of the unique social enterprise law firms ‘Salvos Legal’ and ‘Salvos Legal Humanitarian’, which are wholly owned by The Salvation Army.
Luke’s expertise includes:
- Delicate and compassionate dispute resolution expertise
- Strong board-engagement skills
- Extensive sector-wide relationships and understanding of the regulatory environment
- Intimate involvement in major public social policy areas (refugees, education, youth, health, corrections, addiction, welfare and aged care), acting for government in some instances and others acting for agencies in partnership with government
- Careful strategic approach to complex legal, stakeholder and reputational issues.
- Lead legal adviser to The Salvation Army’s Australia Eastern and Southern Territories on their historic merger and consolidation into a single national organisation; daily advice on operational issues arising from providing large scale charitable activities.
- Lead legal adviser to The Salvation Army for its humanitarian work on Nauru & Manus Island.
- Advising and assisted a major Australian aged care provider on all aspects of its successful completion of its $5m acquisition of a UK based Dementia care organisation.
- Lead legal adviser to the Uniting Church in designing and implementing a redress scheme under a restorative justice framework, and advising the Church and its schools on matters of appropriate redress and common law claims.
- Lead legal adviser to the Seventh-day Adventist Church in designing and implementing a redress scheme under a restorative justice framework, and advising the Church and its schools on matters of appropriate redress and common law claims.
- Advising numerous major global corporations on their preparations for compliance with Australian modern slavery laws.
- Leading Individual, Non-Profit/Charities Law, Best Lawyers in Australia.
- Named as one of the 10 Most Innovative Lawyers in the Financial Times Asia-Pacific Innovative Lawyers showcase.
- Named in Pro Bono Australia’s ‘Impact 25’ list of the most influential people in the Australian social sector.
- Managing Partner of the Year, Australian Law Awards 2013.
- Anzac of the Year Award for service to the legal profession and the community, 2010.
- Not-for-Profit & Social Enterprise ,