Paul is internationally and nationally recognised as a leader in the successful delivery of multi-disciplinary projects. These include cross-border, intellectual property and technology rich strategic acquisition, negotiations, and contract management and government programs. He has particular expertise in coregulatory schemes and commercial arrangements in highly regulated sectors.
Paul has a strategic, practical approach to the resolution of legal, commercial and policy issues within articulated cost/benefit and risk management frameworks. He applies effective project management disciplines to the delivery of legal work and projects generally based on PRINCE 2, or PMBOK , as well as agile and smart methodologies.
He is sought out for providing exceptional client service, insightful and practical strategic, commercial and legal advice and know-how in successfully resolving complex programs and projects to successful conclusions.
Paul’s clients range from multinational corporations and foreign and domestic governments through to corporations, research institutes, universities, start-ups and SMEs.
Paul’s expertise includes:
- Major, complex and novel projects
- International transactions including treaty and less than treaty status arrangements
- Intellectual property and commercialisation
- Telecommunications, media and technology including social media and cybersecurity
- Government services, program and project, design, implementation, delivery and review
- Governance, compliance and probity
- Tendering, contracting, contract management and contract performance issues
- Services agreements
- Corporatisation and privatisation
- Negotiation (Harvard Negotiation Certificate).
- Advising Digital Transformation Agency in the transformation of the Australian Government’s engagement, procurement and contract processes for whole of government contracting (ICT), involving highly innovative and expert new ways of developing scalable, fit for purpose procurement methodologies, evaluation , contract design, drafting and implantation.
- Advising Department of Communications and the Arts on four rounds of the $220m Mobile Black Spot program leveraging a total investment of over $680m to invest in telecommunications infrastructure to improve mobile coverage and competition across Australia. Innovative approaches to complex assessment and contract negotiation.
- Advising multinationals, government , research Institutes, universities and SMEs in domestic and international IP audits and protection, R&D and commercialisation programs and projects across new technologies, ICT &T, defence, health, education, agriculture, space and cyber, advanced/intelligent manufacturing sectors.
- Advising Birdon Group across a broad range of marine and ship products and services in Australia, Singapore, Europe, USA, and the UK including ship building, repair, refit and disposals, marine and underwater services, dredging, military sales.
Professional Memberships / Accreditation & Activities
- Award for Contribution to Australian Intelligent Manufacturing Systems Program.
- Award for Contribution to International IMS Program, Washington, USA.
- Ministerial Commendation for work on Collins Class Submarines.
- Ministerial Certificate of recognition for Contribution to Australia Remembers Program.