Maurice has over 10 years' experience in the trade, transport and insurance industries and advises leading Australian and overseas companies in these sectors on all aspects of commercial disputes including cross border litigation, contract drafting, and regulatory compliance. He also represents general commercial clients in these areas.
He regularly advises on pursuing and defending claims in the Federal Court of Australia, the Supreme Courts of all the Australian States, the Land and Environment Court, and in arbitration proceedings both in Australia and globally.
He is renowned for knowing his cases inside out and is extremely capable at condensing complex issues and bringing the parties to the root of an issue. He successfully steers and resolves complex and technical trade, transport and insurance matters.
Maurice’s clients include insurance companies, insurance policy holders, freight forwarders, port corporations, Federal government departments, vessel owners and operators, trucking companies, bunker suppliers, and general commercial clients.
Maurice’s expertise includes:
- Commercial litigation and arbitration
- Insurance indemnity advice and recoveries
- Cross border insolvency
- Foreign judgment and international arbitration enforcement
- Regulatory and compliance advice including pursuing and defending regulatory prosecutions
- Negotiating charterparties, logistics agreements, aircraft charters, ship sale agreements, contracts of sale of goods, salvage and wreck removal agreements
- Personal property securities.
- Representing the owners of the MY “Dragon Pearl” regarding an ownership dispute over the MY “Dragon Pearl” following the collapse and subsequent Chapter 7 United States Bankruptcy proceedings of Zetta Jet Pte Ltd in Singapore and Zetta Jet Inc in the United States of America.
- Defending a multinational freight forwarder against a $35m claim made against it under the Hague Visby Rules following a shipment of locomotives from Australia to China.
- Representing a multinational grain trader in arbitration proceedings following the breakdown of a ship loader at the Port of Adelaide.
- Undertaking an investigation on behalf of an Australian port corporation following the grounding of a panamax size bulk carrier in an Australian port.
- Defending commercial hull & machinery insurers in relation to denials of indemnity following the sinking of vessels in Australia, Papua New Guinea and Fiji.
- Representing the majority of the marine cargo insurance market in pursuing multiple claims under the Hague Visby Rules in respect of container stow collapses on board the MV “Cosco Fukuyama”, the MV “APL England” and the MV “YM Efficiency”.
- Pursuing a criminal prosecution on behalf of the State of New South Wales for offences under the Marine Pollution Act 1987 (NSW).
- Drafting template documents for the Department of Industry and Science for use in anti-dumping and countervailing investigations.
- Advising on chain of responsibility compliance.
Professional Memberships / Accreditation & Activities
- Ranked Lawyer – Up and Coming, Shipping , Chambers Asia-Pacific
- Next Generation Lawyer, Transport, Maritime and Shipping, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific
- Transport Rising Star (Australia), Doyle’s Guide
- Recommended Lawyer, Shipping & Maritime Law and Transportation Law, Best Lawyers in Australia
- Recommended Lawyer, Admiralty, Shipping & Maritime Lawyer (Australia), Doyle’s Guide