Maurice has 15 years' experience in the trade, transport and insurance industries and advises leading Australian and overseas companies in these sectors on all aspects of insurance policy coverage, subrogated recoveries, commercial disputes including cross border litigation both in rem and in personam, contract drafting, and regulatory compliance. He also represents general commercial clients in these areas.
In addition, he has 10 years’ experience in advising Federal Government Departments and Agencies where he has particular expertise in advising, investigating and defending discrimination and bullying claims.
He regularly advises on pursuing and defending claims in the Federal Court of Australia, the Supreme Courts of all the Australian States, the Land and Environment Court, and in arbitration proceedings both in Australia and globally.
He delivers prompt, practical and commercial solutions to complex matters, and is renowned for knowing his cases inside out, condensing complex issues and bringing the parties to the root of an issue. He successfully steers and resolves complex and technical trade, transport, insurance and government matters.
Maurice’s clients include insurance companies, insurance policy holders, financiers freight forwarders, port corporations and operators, Federal Government Departments, vessel owners and operators, trucking companies, bunker suppliers, and general commercial clients.
Maurice’s expertise includes:
- Commercial litigation and arbitration
- Insurance indemnity advice and recoveries
- Cross border insolvency
- Foreign judgment and international arbitration enforcement
- Regulatory and compliance advice including pursuing and defending regulatory prosecutions
- Negotiating charterparties, logistics agreements, aircraft charters, ship sale agreements, contracts of sale of goods, salvage and wreck removal agreements
- Personal property securities
- Discrimination and internal investigations
- Representing the marine cargo insurance market in the first ever marine insurer fund subrogated recovery class action against the owners of the MV “APL ENGLAND” in respect of the 80 containers which were lost overboard during a container stow collapse.
- Advising underwriters and the Korean subsidiary of a multinational port corporation in relation to the global litigation and arbitration strategy in a claim for in excess of USD$85m following the allision of the MV “MILANO BRIDGE” with quay cranes at the Port of Busan.
- Representing New Zealand and Norwegian financiers in respect of the arrest and judicial sale the MY “ISLAND ESCAPE” which the financiers had a secured mortgage over in respect of loans totalling NZD$19m.
- Defending the owners and master of the MV “SO REELAXING” in respect of criminal prosecutions and personal injury claims following passengers overboard.
- Representing the owners of the MY “Dragon Pearl” regarding an ownership dispute over the MY “Dragon Pearl” following the collapse and subsequent Chapter 7 United States Bankruptcy proceedings of Zetta Jet Pte Ltd in Singapore and Zetta Jet Inc in the United States of America.
- Defending a multinational freight forwarder against a $35m claim made against it under the Hague Visby Rules following a shipment of locomotives from Australia to China.
- Representing a multinational port operator and subrogated underwriters in FIDIC Yellow Book Arbitration in respect of a USD$7m claim following fire to a mobile harbour crane in the Port of Berbera, Somalia.
- Advising underwriters in relation to policy indemnity and breach of warranty following damage to a project cargo of trains worth $26m from India to Australia.
- Advising the lead underwriter in respect of the measure of indemnity following contamination to a consignment of Marine Gasoil worth $70m shipped on board the MV “AG NEPTUNE”.
- Defending commercial hull & machinery insurers in relation to denials of indemnity following the sinking of vessels in Australia, Papua New Guinea and Fiji.
- Advised the Commonwealth of Australia in respect of a contract for the charter of a barge and tug for a 12 month term between Ports in Australia and Norfolk Island to assist in an acute shortage of cargo capacity and services delivery essential goods and items to Norfolk Island.
- Advised a multinational freight forwarder in relation to the negotiation of BIMCO HEAVYLIFTVOY and BIMCO PROJECTCON charterparties in respect of project cargo for the Callide Power Station.
- Defending multiple Federal Government Department and Agencies in proceedings commenced in the Australian Human Rights Commission and Federal Court of Australia regarding discrimination and bullying.
- Acting Pro Bono for the families impacted by the sinking of the MV “GULF LIVESTOCK 1” and Yeti Airlines Flight 691.
Professional Memberships / Accreditation & Activities
- Ranked Lawyer, (Band 3) Shipping , Chambers Asia-Pacific
- Leading Individual , Shipping, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific
- Rising Star, Transport (Australia), Doyle’s Guide
- Recognised Lawyer, Shipping & Maritime Law and Transportation Law, The Best Lawyers in Australia
- Secretary Maritime Law Association of Australian and New Zealand
- Insurance ,