Julian has 20 years’ experience advising in the health and life sciences sector, initially around protection, enforcement and commercialisation of intellectual property rights, but with a shift in recent years to regulation of therapeutic products and services.
He advises clients on commercial agreements and transactions in the health industry context, particularly in relation to the licensing and supply of therapeutic products and services. As a lawyer who also acts for health clients in contentious matters, he brings a litigator’s eye to drafting and negotiation to ensure contracts are clear, effective and less susceptible to future disputes and liability exposure.
Julian also assists clients to navigate the regulatory frameworks relating to the trial, approval, licensing, manufacture, advertisement, supply and reimbursement/subsidisation of therapeutic goods and services (particularly medicinal cannabis), which extends to challenging decisions and defending actions by the TGA and other health regulators, through review processes and administrative and legal proceedings.
Julian’s expertise includes:
- Drafting and negotiation of commercial agreements, including sponsorship, manufacture, supply and distribution agreements, quality and technical agreements, licensing agreements, R&D and commercialisation agreements, clinical trial agreements
- Regulatory compliance review and advice (import/export, manufacture, supply, advertising, HCP professional practice)
- TGA, Office of Drug Control, State/Territory Health Dept licences and permits
- Medicinal cannabis regulatory and business structure advice (import/export, cultivation, manufacture, clinics/prescribing, pharmacy, wholesale supply/distribution)
- Administrative decision reviews and appeals (ARTG registration/listing/inclusion, product recalls and corrective actions)
- Defence to regulatory enforcement action (product cancellations, advertising non-compliance)
- Listed medicine scientific evidence reviews
- Contract and IP disputes, claims and settlements: pre-action demands, negotiation, mediation, arbitration, litigation
Professional Memberships / Accrediation & Activities
- Band 4 ranked lawyer in Chambers Asia-Pacific 2020, 2021 and 2022 for Life Sciences