Johann has over 16 years’ experience advising clients in highly regulated industries across the Australian, South East Asian, and African markets, with a particular focus on providing advice to clients in the insurance industry.
Johann has particular expertise on the regulatory environment, and corporate and commercial requirements, of insurance value chain participants and providing strategic and practical advice to clients on their transactions, commercial arrangements and internal compliance and structuring.
He is well-known for providing practical and commercially focussed advice having a deep understanding of his clients’ business goals, and working collaboratively to achieve those goals.
Johann’s expertise includes:
- Insurance industry transactions, including complex share transactions, portfolio transfers, reinsurance transactions (eg loss portfolio transfers and adverse development cover arrangements).
- Commercial arrangements in the insurance value chain, including MGA, broker, white-labelling, and other distribution arrangements.
- Regulatory compliance with a particular focus on complex compliance issues faced by clients in highly regulated industries.
- Advising Blackstone on Australian aspects and regulatory applications for its raise of $3 billion of new equity capital for and $500 million strategic investment into Resolution Life.
- Advising Arch Capital Group on its acquisition of Westpac’s Lenders Mortgage Insurance business and the 10-year exclusive supply agreement for Arch to provide Lenders Mortgage Insurance.
- Advising 360 Underwriting on its acquisition by the AUB Group and the restructuring of the underwriting agencies under the two groups’ umbrellas.
- Advising Macquarie Life on the portfolio transfer of its life insurance business to Resolution Life.
- Advising Swiss Re on its disposal of its Australian aviation insurance book.
- Advising Lockton on its acquisition of WCD, an employee benefits consulting company, and Zenith Insurance Services.
- Advising Arch Re on its acquisition of a majority stake in data-driven marketing and distribution solutions provider, Precision Marketing Asia Pacific.
- Advising management shareholders in the disposal of their and IAG’s shareholding in Bond & Credit Company to Tokio Marine & Nichido Fire Insurance.
- Advising Avoka on its acquisition by Swiss Exchange listed banking software company Temenos AG.
- Advising Renew Estate on the sale of the Bomen Solar Farm to Spark Infrastructure Group.
Professional Memberships / Accreditation & Activities
- Admitted to practice as an Australian Legal Practitioner
- Admitted Attorney in South Africa
- Admitted Notary in South Africa
- ANZIFF Associate
- Key Lawyer, Fintech and Financial Services Regulatory, Legal 500 2023
- Quoted by a client as “a very commercial operator and a very skilled negotiator. Great to have Johann negotiating on your side!”, Financial Services Regulatory, Legal 500 2022
- Insurance ,