Nieva advises some of Australia’s largest insurers on insurance claims and complex coverage disputes.
Nieva’s clients value her expert policy interpretation skills, practical approach and thorough understanding of the insurance industry.
Nieva is an expert in complex litigation and has defended a number of prominent class actions, including a Federal Court matter relating to proceedings commenced by protesters under the ‘Occupy Melbourne’ banner, and defending a party in the Manus Island class action in the Supreme Court of Victoria.
Nieva’s expertise includes:
- Liability – Property Damage and Personal Injury
- Class Actions
- Industrial Special Risks
- Product Liability
- Victorian Plumbers Warranty
- Professional Indemnity
- Policy advice.
- Ongoing advice and defence of multiple public liability (personal injury) litigation matters against one of Australia’s largest commercial property owners.
- Successfully defending third party professional services provider in Supreme Court Proceedings for the Manus Island Class Action.
- Advising co-insurers on risks and exposures relating to a pressure vessel explosion (loss of property and personal injury).
- Advising professional indemnity insurer (and defence of Federal Court proceeding) on policy coverage in relation to a large illegal operation carried out by the employee of an insured.
- Advising insurer (and defence of VCAT proceeding) on policy coverage in relation to water ingress into a commercial property.
- Advising insurer (and defence of County Court proceeding) on policy coverage in relation to a regional hotel that was burnt during renovation works.
Professional Memberships / Accreditation & Activities
- Leading Lawyer, Defendant Public & Product Liability (Victoria), Doyle’s Guide.
- Recommended Lawyer, Insurance Law, Best Lawyers in Australia.