David specialises in helping Australian and global insurers and their customers, as well as self-insured companies and statutory bodies, to best manage their losses and resolve disputes.
Having 24 years in practice, David has resolved thousands of cases and legal disputes involving insurance for professional liability, public liability, life and total and permanent disability, property and ISR, directors, management and employment liability.
David and his expert legal team manage schemes or portfolios of claims, material litigation, class actions, inquests and professional inquiries, as well as the drafting of insurance products, providing advice and assistance with all manner of insurance, liability and risk questions.
His approach is to be fair and consistent, striving for resolution at good value.
David regularly presents for clients and industry seminars and is recognised by his industry as a leading lawyer in his field.
David’s expertise includes:
- Indemnity disputes, IDR and FOS processes, advice, drafting, Insurance Contracts Act, co-insurance, proportionate liability, subrogated recoveries
- Coverage or defence, indemnity advice, Inquiries, audits and drafting, D&O, employment liability, various professionals including barristers, health, engineering, construction, real estate, financial services
- Indemnity and defence, catastrophic claims, pure psychiatric injury, civil abuse claims, product liability, occupier’s liability, non-delegable duties for employers and schools
- Non-disclosure, fraud, eligibility criteria, pre-existing conditions, unbundling claims, IP and TPD litigation, own occupation and ETE requirements, trustees and insurers, assessment duties, procedural fairness, SIS Act
- Underinsurance, consequential damages, inevitable accident, fire, fraud, non-disclosure, exclusions, recoveries
- Contract works for tunnels, runway; ISR for mills, mines; BI for manufacturing, agriculture, retail, hospitality and legal
- Aviation, marine, heavy motor, airport operators, hanger keepers, maintenance engineers, cargo, port operators, construction and mining equipment, recoveries.
- The 2018 Dreamworld Inquest – failure of the Thunder River Rapids Ride, leading to four fatalities and other injuries.
- Supreme Court and Court of Appeal hearings for the superannuation Trustee in claim for TPD benefits of $1.3m. Important question of obligation to reconsider an application if new evidence is supplied, with laws of trust, equity and superannuation.
- Several claims against a Dam manufacturer and its insurer from the family of a young girl who perished when the dam failed, and safety prosecution by the State Government.
- The Ravenshoe gas explosion which killed two persons and injured 17 when a vehicle collided with a gas bottle at a café, and unprecedented catastrophe in the community with significant media attention.
- Litigation regarding a business policy, whether included cover for privately owned power network located in Western Australia. Judgment received and resolved with notice of appeal pending.
Professional Memberships / Accreditation & Activities
- Recommended Lawyer, Insurance Law, Personal Injury Litigation and Product Liability Litigation, Best Lawyers in Australia.
- Recommended Lawyer, Insurance, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific.