Recognised by clients to be a sophisticated and strategically-minded lawyer, David’s practice is built around getting a real understanding of, and insightfully furthering, his clients’ commercial objectives. He has an ability to solve complex commercial issues in a practical way. Previously a partner for many years at another major Australian firm, he brings immense transaction experience, positive negotiation and deal management skills, a balanced manner, and experienced judgment to the service he provides.
"He takes a special interest in the specific commercial drivers of our business; he truly takes the trouble to understand what's important to us." - Chambers Global.
'He is valued for having "an excellent grasp of corporate reality" and for being "extremely commercial".' – Chambers Asia-Pacific.
'He is especially credited for "doing a fantastic job navigating complicated and challenging matters."' - Chambers Asia-Pacific.
David’s expertise includes:
- Capital transactions / alternative investments
- Restructuring, workouts, and special situations
- Property development projects
- Strategic commercial /risk management advice
- Corporate and finance law
- Advising Australian Unity as developer and co-owner of the proposed Lane Cove Retirement Village and Aged Care Facility, comprising 82 ILUs and 70 aged care beds.
- Advising Australian Unity as developer and co-owner of the Grace Albert Park Retirement Village, comprising 79 ILUs.
- Advising Victoria Racing Club on the $120 million construction financing for the development of its 18,000 seat Club Stand at Flemington.
- Advising Aurora Energy on its Large-Scale Generator Certificate purchase contract (and tripartite arrangements) underpinning the economics of the Cattle Hill Wind Farm development.
- Advising KfW IPEX-Bank of Germany on a High Purity Alumina (Altech Ltd) project and project financing.
- Advising 7-Eleven on the design, terms, and execution of a competitive process for the re-tendering of its main external debt facilities.
- Advising on the leveraged financing for CDH Investments’ and its co-investor’s takeover of Sirtex Medical Ltd for A$1.9 billion.
- Advising RMIT University on its common terms A$500 million syndicated bank debt and long-term US Private Placement financing program.
Professional Memberships / Accreditation & Activities
- Stand out lawyer, Acritas Star Lawyers global survey, 2018, 2019
- Leading Lawyer , Highly regarded, IFLR1000, 2018, 2019
- Recognised in Best Lawyers in Australia, 2017-2020
- Leading Individual, Corporate Finance, Chambers Global 2019 and Chambers Asia Pacific 2018 – 2019
- Holds an M.B.A. (with High Honors) (University of Chicago Booth School of Business)
- M&A / Corporate Advisory ,