Con has extensive litigation experience in most jurisdictions, with an emphasis on defending complex claims under common law and statutory liability schemes. His particular expertise includes common law claims relating to product, public and occupier’s liability and personal injury claims including toxic torts, catastrophic claims, property damage and remediation claims. He is an acknowledged expert in the area of toxic torts and dust diseases litigation.
Con’s expertise includes:
- Matters involving complex legal, factual and scientific issues such as foreseeability and causation
- National and international liability issues
- Conducting Australian cases both at trial and appellate levels
- Submissions to and consulting with the New South Wales Government and interested organisations regarding the Common Law and statutory schemes.
- Risk management advice.
- Defending many thousands of claims in the Dust Diseases Tribunal of New South Wales, primarily in relation to asbestos related pleural diseases, asbestosis, mesothelioma, lung cancer, silicosis and silica induced lung cancer.
- Acting on the successful defence of a novel claim not determined previously in any common law country for the loss of a statutory age pension. This issue was recently addressed by the High Court and it was held that there is no entitlement to the loss of the Commonwealth age pension.
- Successful application for judicial advice with respect to Trustee’s interpretation of enacting legislation and trust instruments in the NSW Supreme Court.
- Successful argument with respect to interpretation of section 151AB of the Workers’ Compensation Act 1987 (NSW) and relevant insurer on risk.
Professional Memberships / Accreditation & Activities
- Recognised Lawyer, Alternative Dispute Resolution, Insurance Law and Litigation, The Best Lawyers in Australia.
- Recommended Lawyer, Dust Diseases (Defendant), Doyle’s Guide.
- Leading Lawyer, Dust Diseases (Defendant Insurance), Doyle’s Guide.