Stephen Vardanega is one of the two founding partners of specialist insurance firm vardanega roberts in 1992, joining Mills Oakley in 2022. He has focused on insurance since 1981, with a particular emphasis on providing targeted and practical advice in complex claims in Public and Products Liability, Professional Indemnity, Motor Accidents Personal Injury, Property, Accident and Health, Risk Management, Insurance Policy Drafting and Interpretation. Some of stephen's major clients include: Scentre Group (Westfield), Marsh, Gordian Run-Off and CHU Underwriting Agencies.
Stephen has strong communication skills. His expertise in the above fields has led to numerous speaking engagements, including: presentation to Lloyd’s Market Assocaition February on 151Z Recoveries in casualty and major loss personal injury claims around Australia, lecturing at the College of Law and University of Sydney on the subject of Employer Liability, indemnity and Insurance Clauses and Preliminary discovery to Marsh, current trends in Civil Liability NSW to XL London Market and liability of Public Authorities: Self Defence and recovery by Criminals- to Zurich.
Stephen has strong personal relationships with claims staff at all levels and is known for his ability to explain very complex matters in plain, simple terms. Stephen’s focus is on effective defence of litigated matters, providing advice at all stages on the likely cost of the claim and methods to achieve a cost effective resolution.
Stephen’s expertise includes:
- Strata Insurance personal injury claims
- Personal injury claims associated with the ownership and management of major shopping centres
- Personal injury claims associated with the construction and redevelopment of major shopping centre, including complex claims involving a combination of public liability, motor accident personal injury and workers compensation
- Motor accident personal injury claims, with an emphasis on catastrophic and fraudulent claims
- Risk management advice associated with all aspects of operating and managing major shopping centres
- Defending professional indemnity claims against solicitors
- $2m Supreme Court personal injury claim involving public liability, professional indemnity and workers compensation issues.
- Defending a multi-million dollar claim against a solicitor arising from settlement of a personal injury claim.
- Successful resolution of $4m CTP personal injury claim which included successful cross claims against a motor vehicle property insurer, motor vehicle assessor and two professional negligence claims against treating specialists.
- Recent involvement in risk management workshop for a major client.
Professional Memberships / Accreditation & Activities
- Recommended Defendant, Public Liability, Doyles Guide
- Insurance ,