Aaron is a well-known planning and environment law specialist - with more than 20 years' experience in land use planning and development regulation.
Aaron provides practical advice to facilitate urban development and to overcome red tape. He is also an experienced litigator - representing property developers and landowners in Land and Environment Court proceedings on a daily basis. Aaron regularly negotiates major planning agreements with local councils and state government agencies.
Aaron advises and represents property developers, certifying authorities and public sector organisations. Aaron was a member of the Law Society’s Environmental Planning and Development Committee from 2009 to 2016.
Aaron has played a role in major legal changes to the NSW planning system since 2009. This has included work as a legal advisor to the NSW Government (on key reforms to the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979) and the Greater Sydney Commission (in relation to the preparation of its district plans and its approval of local strategic planning statements).
Aaron’s expertise includes:
- Greenfield development
- Infill development, including the residential, retail, commercial and industrial sectors
- Development consents
- Planning controls (including rezoning)
- Planning agreements
- Construction and subdivision works certificates
- Subdivision and occupation certificates
- Other land use/environment approvals
- Compulsory acquisition of land by public authorities
- Land tax issues
- Recent projects.
Obtaining approval, via Land and Environment Court proceedings, for:
- A mixed-use building within the City of Sydney (requiring the partial demolition of a contributory heritage item), comprising 25 dwellings and 667 sqm of ground floor commercial space.
- A major development in Auburn town centre, with 427 new apartments above 3,999m² of supermarket and other commercial premises (with car parking for 742 vehicles).
- A 75-dwelling seniors serviced self-care development in Ballina.
- A 13-storey building comprising 61 apartments (over 1,110m² of retail and commercial space) in Kogarah.
- The re-development of a heritage-listed post office as a four-storey mixed use building comprising 10 residential units over ground-floor retail (in the Waverley local council area)
- The subdivision for, and construction of, 43 attached dwellings in Western Sydney.
- A 998 sqm service station and food and drink premises on the north coast of NSW.
- A five-storey mixed use development, including 63 apartments, a supermarket, a restaurant and commercial premises in Western Sydney.
- The subdivision of a six-lot site into 101 lots in northern Sydney.
- A 40-unit residential flat building in southern Sydney.
- A 13 storey mixed use building with 106 residential units and two commercial premises in southern Sydney, adjacent to a heritage conservation area.
- A new retail garden centre in Sydney’s inner west.
- A childcare centre for 40 children in southern Sydney.
- A road transport terminal in the Byron Shire.
- A 50 per cent reduction in the Valuer-General’s land value assessment (for an inner west supermarket site) with a consequent reduction in tax liability.
Professional Memberships/ Accreditation & Activities
- Accredited by the Law Society as a specialist in planning and environment law.
- Recommended by Doyle’s Guide in the field of planning and development law.
- Registered Planner, Planning Institute of Australia.
- Steering Committee member, Urban Taskforce Australia.
- Environmental Planning Law Association of NSW.
- National Environmental Law Association.
- Planning & Environment ,