Stefan has been a commercial litigator for approximately 30 years, the last 15 of which specialising in PI, D & O, Property and liability insurance (and reinsurance). His practice spans across both WA and NSW.
Stefan is known for providing clear and unequivocal indemnity advice and defending claims strategically and economically or settling claims early, whichever is in the best interests of his clients.
Stefan is recognised internationally as a “Leader in his Field” by Chambers and Partners, as a “preeminent leading PI lawyer” in Doyle's Guide, recommended in Legal 500 for the past five years and he’s also been included in Best Lawyers in Australia.
He has been widely praised for his diligent approach and "ability to clearly articulate the relevant issues." Clients assert that they "benefit directly from his deep specialist expertise" in this field.
In Chambers and Partners for 2022 clients have said Stefan is “an extremely competent lawyer who brings many years of experience to the table” and that Stefan is “very forensic and intelligent” and that “he’s outstanding. If I were a director being sued, I’d have no problem calling him”.
Stefan’s expertise includes:
- Policy interpretation/coverage advice for both National insurers and Lloyd’s Syndicates
- Defence of claims against solicitors, barristers, architects, engineers, accountants, members of the finance industry and various other professionals
- Successfully mediating/resolving by ADR disputed claims
- Acting for insurers on subrogated claims
- Publishing papers and presenting seminars on insurance related issues and legal developments
- Acted for certain directors in the successful defence of a claim for approx. $500m for an alleged breach of their fiduciary duties in the company’s decision to acquire the shares in an acquisition company, which decision resulted in the company going into external administration owing more than $800m.
- Acted for a CFO in the defence of a claim against him and several directors for $100m. After 6 weeks of trial judgement was delivered against the Plaintiffs and costs were awarded against the Plaintiffs on an indemnity basis.
- Acted for a valuer in the defence of a claim for $6m arising from an alleged breach of duties and misrepresentations. The Federal Court dismissed the Plaintiffs’ claim with indemnity costs. On Appeal by the Plaintiffs to the Full Court of the Federal Court, Stefan appeared as Counsel. The appeal was dismissed with indemnity costs being awarded against the Plaintiffs.
- Acted for an Insured who was alleged to have breached its duties as escrow agent causing loss in excess of $5m. The claim brought against the Insured failed at trial and again on appeal. Indemnity costs pursuant to the escrow agreement were awarded to the Insured.
Professional Memberships / Accreditation & Activities
- Recognised Lawyer, Insurance Law, Litigation and Product Liability Litigation, Best Lawyers Australia
- Recommended Lawyer, Leading Professional Indemnity Lawyers – WA, 2021, Doyle’s Guide
- Ranked Lawyer (Band 3), Insurance, Chambers Asia-Pacific
- Member, Law Society of NSW and WA
- Member, Australian Insurance Lawyers Association (AILA)
- Insurance ,