Jason leads the firm’s cyber risk and insurance practice and has been a specialist cyber and financial lines insurance lawyer for over 15 years.
Jason has extensive experience working with organisations, brokers and insurers, as well as engaging expert vendors, in managing cyber risks, responding to incidents and regulatory compliance. He is also an industry expert regarding complex coverage issues across all forms of financial lines insurance. Jason has acted as coverage counsel for insurers in class actions and large insolvency litigation, defended financial, legal and building professionals in litigated claims in all levels of Australian courts, and represented parties in Royal Commissions and ASIC investigations. Jason has worked with many of Australia’s largest insurers and Lloyd’s syndicates. He has also worked with numerous organisations providing pro bono legal assistance over his entire career.
Jason presents regularly on insurance law issues, cyber risk, class actions and Royal Commissions. Jason has served on the APIG National Committee since 2017, and he is an advocate for young lawyers choosing a legal career in insurance.
Jason’s expertise includes:
- Cyber risk planning and incident response
- Cyber insurance
- Professional indemnity (financial, legal, building professionals)
- Directors’ and officers’ liability
- Class actions (coverage)
- Royal Commissions
- Regulatory investigations
- Pro bono legal assistance
- Advising consultancy firm regarding payment fraud and notification of data breach.
- Advising financial advisory firm regarding business email compromise.
- Advising insurer regarding new cyber insurance product and wording.
- Advising insurer regarding reinsurance claim for COVID-19 travel claims.
- Successfully defending managing director in wrongful termination claim.
- Successfully defending building certifier in apartment complex defects claim.
- Successfully defending solicitor in negligence claim relating to property development.
- Successfully defending pro bono client in dispute regarding family estate.
Professional Memberships/ Accreditation & Activities
- Bachelor of Laws (Honours), University of Technology, Sydney (2003)
- Bachelor of Business (Major in Accounting), University of Technology, Sydney (2003)
- Supreme Court of NSW (2005), High Court of Australia (2007)
- Attorney-at-Law, New York, USA (2011)
- Australian Professional Indemnity Group (APIG), National Committee Member (2017-)
- Law Society of NSW (2005-)
- New York State Bar Association, International Section Member (2012-)