Dalvin is a leading technology and digital lawyer with over 20 years’ experience.
Dalvin has deep expertise in technology contracting, privacy, cybersecurity, security of critical infrastructure, data sharing, e-commerce and emerging technology including Artificial Intelligence.
He has led deal teams for significant technology transactions and advised on novel and complex cybersecurity and technology issues for clients in the banking, government, technology, logistics and health sectors.
Dalvin helps clients come up with solutions to manage legal risks with the use of technology from large scale enterprise solutions all the way to Artificial Intelligence tools He also helps clients navigate complex regulatory issues with the collection, storage, use, and disclosure of data, as well as, data breaches.
He is renowned for his industry knowledge, understanding of technology, and pragmatism. Client feedback in Legal 500 Australia (2023) commended Dalvin for this and includes the following:
Dalvin Chien is very good at understanding the needs of in-house legal teams. He just “gets it”
He is responsive and presents his diverse team. He makes great accomodations for his clients and is willing to work as partner as well as a trusted adviser.
Rare combination of IT & technology legal expertise with commercial nouse and approach
Dalvin is frequently called upon to provide workshops and thought leadership pieces on procurement, technology transformation, cybersecurity, innovation, data sharing, and Artificial Intelligence.
Dalvin Chien is an impressive and very knowledgeable lawyer in the tech space. What distinguishes him is an incisive attention to detail as well as a commitment to go above and beyond to provide cogent and practical advice promptly, make himself available and ensure that he understands and responds with a clear understanding of the client’s objectives. He negotiates firmly but fairly for his client in matters that are often highly contentious
Dalvin’s expertise includes:
- Technology tendering, procurement, and contracting
- Government tendering, procurement, and contracting
- Data Security and sharing (e.g., Security of Critical Infrastructure legislation, Consumer Data Rights, and CPS requirements)
- Privacy and Health information laws including advice on Privacy Act compliance obligations and Privacy Impact Assessments
- E-commerce including electronic signatures and digital marketing (e.g., Spam and Do Not Call legislation)
- Emerging technology (e.g., Artificial Intelligence and Web 4.0)
- Advising and running customised workshops for the senior leadership team of various global and national organisations on (a) strategic legal and commercial issues with technology outsourcing, (b) legal risks when dealing with “new” technology such as Artificial Intelligence, and (c) dealing with cybersecurity risks and regulations including data breach response planning, privacy reform, director duties, and class action risk.
- Leading the transactional deal teams on the procurement by a large national insurer of numerous technology solutions and services from various global technology suppliers to underpin a large-scale digital transformation project.
- Leading the transactional deal teams on the procurement by a major government agency on the procurement of a range of technology products and services (including telecommunications, compliance management solutions, ERP solutions, ERP systems, land valuation systems and artificial intelligence tools) from global and national suppliers.
- Leading the transactional deal teams on the procurement of technology products and services (including traffic management solutions and ERP solutions) for a major government agency from global and national suppliers.
- Undertaking privacy impact assessments on technology and other projects for several government clients.
- Advising global organisations (including those in the banking and financial services, agriculture, and technology sectors) on data retention obligations.
- Advising leading national and global organisations in the financial services, retail, consumer goods, agriculture, construction, and food sectors, on privacy obligations and developing suites of documents (including privacy policies, collection notices, data breach response plans, and template technology contracts) to assist with privacy compliance.
- Advising on and providing data breach coaching assistance for numerous organisations in response to cyber security incidents.
Professional Memberships / Accreditation & Activities
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific (IT & Telecoms) (2022 and 2023)
- Legal 500 Australia Asia Pacific (Intellectual Property) (2023)
- Lawyers Weekly Partner of the Year Finalist for Technology and Cybersecurity (2022 and 2023)
- Next Generation Lawyer (IT & Telecoms) (2019)