Stuart has extensive experience in the fields of intellectual property law (non-contentious and contentious) and media and entertainment law (particularly defamation law).
Stuart is one of Australia's top media and defamation lawyers, having been involved in many landmark judgments and cases.
He advises many of Australia’s leading retail brands including those for the Brett Blundy Retail Group (Diva, Lovisa, Honey Birdette) and the Accent Group, including global brands Platypus, Athletes Foot, CAT, Dr Martens, Bassike and State of Escape Accessories.
Stuart also acts in matters concerning the protection of the reputations of individuals. Clients to date include internationally acclaimed people from the worlds of entertainment, politics and business, including Russell Crowe, Nicole Kidman, Cate Blanchett, Katy Perry, Mena Suvari, Christina Aguilera, Jennifer Anniston, Arnold Schwarznegger, Keith Urban, Harrison Ford, Demi Moore as well as Fortune 500 directors, politicians and corporate leaders.
Stuart’s expertise includes:
- Trade marks
- Trade practices issues dealing with misleading and deceptive conduct
- Media and Entertainment Law
- Defamation and defamation on social media.
- Advising Accent Group on its IP rollout of its global footwear retail brands.
- Advising fashion label “State of Escape” on IP aspects of the rollout of its brand internationally.
- Successfully acting for beverage client Drink Craft in Federal Court Proceedings.
- Successfully acting for international fashion label “Bassike” in US Trademark Proceedings.
- Advising the Manheim Group on Copyright matters.
- Preparation of High Court Appeal documentation for notable Australian defamation case Trkulja v Google Inc (on liability of search engines).
- Representing American actor Tom Arnold in a dispute with Network Ten.
Professional Memberships / Accreditation & Activities
- Recommended Lawyer, Technology, Media and Telecommunications, Doyle’s Guide.