Rohan is an experienced public and administrative law practitioner. For over 20 years he has advised government departments, agencies and officers on administrative law litigation, sound decision-making processes, statutory interpretation, policy development and implementation and access to information.
Rohan has also conducted several high profile Royal Commissions and inquiries and regularly appears as solicitor advocate in judicial review proceedings conducted in the High Court, Federal Court and Federal Circuit Courts of Australia, as well as merits review proceedings in the Administrative Appeals Tribunal.
Rohan’s practice provides clients with specialist, value-for-money volume litigation services and advice that identifies potential risk factors and delivers pragmatic and legally sound solutions.
Rohan’s expertise includes:
- Acting for the Minister for Immigration in thousands of judicial and merits review matters including challenges to visa and other immigration decisions made by administrative tribunals, Ministerial delegates and the Minister personally
- Advising various government agencies on implementing effective litigation strategies and how to achieve legislative and policy outcomes
- Advising government agencies on the construction, interpretation and application of their portfolio legislation and policy documents and providing legal opinions on a range of complex legal issues
- As an appointed inquiry officer, Rohan conducts various statutory inquiries and investigations for the Australian Defence Force
- Advising on compensation and liability claims, including claims for compensation under the Compensation for Detriment caused by Defective Administration (CDDA) scheme and act-of-grace payments
- Conducting major Royal Commissions and judicial inquiries.
- Successfully represented the Minister for Home Affairs in appeals prosecuted in the Federal Court of Australia in connection with visa decisions, including in: ANE17 v Minister for Immigration and Border Protection  FCA 305; AAJ17 v Minister for Immigration and Border Protection  FCA 205; and CDJ15 v Minister for Immigration and Border Protection  FCA 298.
- Conducted the Royal Commission Inquiry into certain Australian companies in relation to the UN Oil-For-Food Programme and the judicial Inquiry into the case of Dr Mohamed Haneef.
- Recommended Lawyer, Government Practice and Public Law, Best Lawyers in Australia.
- Government ,