Oliver is an experienced litigator and solicitor advocate having acted and advised Commonwealth and State government departments and agencies for over 15 years including the Department of Home Affairs, National Disability Insurance Agency and Services Australia.
He has experience across a broad range of public and administrative law matters and has advised government departments, agencies and entities on administrative law litigation, statutory interpretation, policy development and implementation, and decision-making processes.
Oliver has conducted extensive solicitor advocacy in the Federal Circuit Court, Federal Court and Administrative Appeals Tribunal in judicial review and merits review proceedings.
Relying on his extensive experience working within the public sector, Oliver has achieved successful outcomes in high profile and sensitive litigated matters on behalf of government clients. Oliver provides clients technical legal advice and astute advocacy that is pragmatic, client focused and outcome driven.
Oliver’s expertise includes:
- Acting for and advising the Minister for Immigration in thousands of judicial review and merits review matters including challenges to visa and other immigration decisions made by the Administrative Appeals Tribunal, Ministerial delegates and the Minister personally.
- Acting for and advising the CEO of the National Disability Insurance Agency in merits review matters before the Administrative Appeals Tribunal and judicial review proceedings in the Federal Court.
- Acting for and advising Services Australia in merits review matters before the Administrative Appeals Tribunal and judicial review proceedings in the Federal Court.
- Advising state government agencies (Department of Education and Training, Legal Services Board) on the interpretation and application of portfolio legislation and policy and providing legal opinions on a range of complex legal issues.
- Acting for Commonwealth and State departments and agencies in high profile and sensitive Coronial Inquests and Royal Commissions.
- Government ,