Nicola has extensive subject matter experience in the area of government and administration law. She regularly appears as an advocate in the Federal Circuit Court, Federal Court and High Court of Australia defending judicial review matters on behalf of Commonwealth agencies whilst simultaneously providing these agencies with advice on complex judicial issues and conduct of litigation.
Nicola is renowned for her quick thinking and practical approach to complex legal and procedural issues and strives to provide thorough and succinct advice to various government agencies and clients. As a partner of the firm with over a decade’s worth of experience undertaking volume litigation and advice as a solicitor, Nicola continues to meet tough and rigorous deadlines and exceeding client expectations.
Nicola’s clients include the Department of Home Affairs and the Department of Human Services. She also represents the Commonwealth in high profile Coronial Inquests and Royal Commissions.
Nicola’s expertise includes:
- Acting for the Minister for Immigration in thousands of judicial and merits review matters including challenges to visa and other immigration decisions made by administrative tribunals, Ministerial delegates and the Minister personally
- Advising various government agencies on implementing effective litigation strategies and how to achieve legislative and policy outcomes
- Advising government agencies on the construction, interpretation and application of their portfolio legislation and policy documents and providing legal opinions on a range of complex issues
- Appearing as Solicitor Advocate in the Federal Court and Federal Circuit Court
- Advising on compensation and liability claims, including compensation under the CDDA scheme
- Acting for Commonwealth departments and agencies in high profile and sensitive Coronial Inquests and Royal Commissions.
- Successfully represented the Minister for Home Affairs in appeals prosecuted in the Federal Court of Australia in connection with visa decisions, including in: Chetcuti v Minister for Immigration & Border Protection  FCA 477; Martin v Minister for Immigration & Border Protection  FCA 893; and Wilson v Assistant Minister for Immigration & Border Protection  FCA 1337.
Professional Memberships / Accreditation & Activities
- Recognised Lawyer, Public Law, The Best Lawyers in Australia.
- Government ,