Mick is a leading Australian commercial and competition lawyer with deep knowledge in the IT, e-commerce, telecommunications and energy sectors. He is valued by clients for contracts and negotiation skills, work on business improvement projects and compliance / advisory expertise.
Drawing on over a decade as a senior lawyer at Telstra, Mick brings particular expertise in working with complex organisations and contract structures. Mick takes pride in providing advice and documents that are business-friendly, customer-friendly and fit for purpose, ranging from Board papers and regulatory notices through sales terms, web-forms and internal policies, to major negotiated contracts.
Mick’s clients have included Optus, SP Ausnet, Origin Energy, Elecnor SA, Telstra, Wilson Parking, United Energy, Brisbane Airport Corporation, the Australian Business Register (ATO) and a wide range of SMEs.
Mick also values the importance of all organisations implementing pro bono initiatives. He was the founder of Telstra Legal’s Pro Bono Program in 2012. Through Mick’s initiative, Telstra was the first Australian in-house team to do so.
Mick’s particular areas of expertise includes:
- Overseeing billion dollar contracts for Telstra’s wholesale and procurement divisions, and a range of ACCC compliance matters
- Advising clients on data breach response, European directives etc
- Marketing reviews, warranty and liability drafting, claims and breach management
- Buying, selling and licensing technology, data security, software distribution and end user licence agreements, IP, SAAS
- Wholesale as seller or buyer, NBN access, customer terms and consumer protection, industry codes
- Engineer procure construct and sub-contracts, embedded network and demand management, power purchase agreements, solar farm corporate structure and sale
- Online and app-based contracting, click-to-agree terms, multi-party transactions, lo-doc and no-doc purchasing, online procurement
- Agency and teaming agreements, terms of sale, IP ownership, commission-based distribution, local and global appointments.
- Preparing Origin Energy’s go-to-market documents and processes, for the launch of its first broadband service offering.
- Negotiating Wilson Parking’s purchases of two separate smaller parking businesses.
- Advising on corporate structure, three early fundraising rounds and regulatory work for Australia’s first female-only ride-sharing service, Shebah.
- Negotiating three separate business / customer base acquisitions for APN, Australia’s largest satellite telecommunications provider.
- Advising Brisbane Airport Corporation on regulatory and contract issues with its local fibre network and implications of the NBN rollout.
- Negotiating sale of the Barcaldine 1 Solar Farm in Queensland for Spanish renewable energy giant Elecnor.
- Working with United Energy on demand management, embedded network building projects, government funding and joint venture technology pilots.
- Recommended individual, Corporate and M&A, The Legal 500 Australia.