Megan has over a decade of experience advising some of Australia’s major corporate entities on competition and consumer law matters. She has particular expertise advising on contentious and non-contentious aspects of consumer law and has acted in some of the leading cases involving claims of misleading and deceptive conduct and breaches of the consumer guarantees and other provisions of the Australian Consumer Law. Her experience extends not only across a wide range of industries, including retail, technology, telecommunications, manufacturing and games and electronics but also includes practical advice and training on compliance with competition and consumer laws . She regularly conducts marketing and advertising reviews for clients and represents them before regulatory bodies including the Advertising Standards Board and the ACCC
Megan has gained extensive experience working at an international law firm, as well as having previously been in-house counsel for a well known media body. She has also undertaken a number of in-house secondments including for global clients such as Microsoft. Megan understands the importance of having both a diligent and pragmatic approach to the practice of law, and prides herself in not only giving accurate, but also practical and commercial advice to clients. This skill extends to those who are, traversing the Australian regulatory landscape for the first time.
Megan’s expertise includes:
- Advising on compliance with the Competition and Consumer Act and associated state and territory laws
- Conducting advertising and marketing reviews, and providing commercial advice in relation to advertising and marketing campaigns and events. This includes advising on influencer marketing agreements and campaigns involving influencers
- Representing clients in litigation commenced by the ACCC
- Drafting and implementing tailored trade practices compliance programs
- Representing clients in consumer law litigation, including breaches of the prohibitions on misleading and deceptive conduct and breaches of the statutory consumer guarantees
- Providing advice on product safety issues including recalls
- Conducting internal investigations into breaches of anti-corruption laws.
- Acting for the former sales director of Colgate Palmolive in proceedings involving allegations of cartel conduct in the laundry detergent industry.
- Acting for LG Electronics in relation to proceedings brought by the ACCC for alleged misleading conduct in relation to consumer guarantee rights.
- Providing ongoing competition and consumer law advice to Microsoft Australia and Microsoft Corporation
- Providing ongoing competition and consumer law advice to Frucor Suntory and to LG Electronics.
- Conducting an internal investigation into conduct involving allegations of corruption in dealings with government officials.
- Competition, Regulatory & Risk ,