Jef recently joined Mills Oakley after 10 years at the private Brisbane Bar. Jef has extensive litigation experience in both court advocacy and alternate dispute resolution, such as informal negotiation, settlement conferences and mediation. Jef brings 18 years’ experience in all areas of insurance law and advocacy.
As a barrister, Jef specialised in public liability, workers’ compensation, motor vehicle accidents, total and permanent disability claims and inquiries.
Prior to being called to the Bar, Jef worked as a solicitor for 8 years specialising in insurance matters including first-party indemnity, professional indemnity, liability, property and recovery.
Having practised at the private Bar for 10 years, Jef brings a unique set of skills of invaluable benefit to insurers.
Jeffrey’s expertise includes:
- First party indemnity advice
- Public liability
- Product liability
- Professional indemnity
- General insurance claims
- Marine insurance
- Institutional not-for-profit claims
- Inquiries and commissions
- Court advocacy
- Alternate dispute resolution.
- Acting for insured aged care providers with respect to the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety.
- Acting in a substantial recovery claim with respect to defective products supplied to the insured and used in a construction project.
- Advising on indemnity, and now defending, professional indemnity claim against insured architects.
- Defending insured in multi-party electric shock claim by worker on mining site.
- Defending claim in the Anti-Discrimination Commission Queensland against insured employer.
- Defending complaints to the Australian Financial Complaints Authority against mortgage broker.
- Defending disciplinary complaints to the Office of Health Ombudsman and Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency against nurses, psychologists, doctors and dentists.
- Defending numerous historic abuse cases against not-for-profit institution.