James is an experienced intellectual property (IP) advisor and litigator with a particular focus on resolving complex IP disputes.
With science qualifications and a passion for innovation, James has significant experience in life sciences, electronics and high-technology patent litigation. In addition to his deep patent expertise, James regularly advises on and litigates copyright, trade mark and trade secret disputes.
James is adept at managing highly technical matters, with an ability to simplify and focus on the truly commercial issues. James is known for his strategic and robust approach to resolving IP disputes.
James’ clients include household name listed entities, private companies and individuals. James regularly presents and publishes on IP issues. He is the Editor of the Patents Chapter of Halsbury’s Laws of Australia and is a Committee Member of both the Copyright Society of Australia and the Unreal Campaign Sub-Committee of INTA.
James’ expertise includes:
- Protection and enforcement of Intellectual Property rights
- Patent, copyright, design and trade mark litigation in the Federal Court of Australia
- Intellectual property asset/portfolio management
- Alternative dispute resolution.
- Representing Dr Reddy’s Laboratories (Australia) Pty Ltd in patent infringement and revocation proceedings in the Federal Court of Australia in respect of the anti-emetic drug palonosetron.
- Representing Rokt Pte Ltd in an appeal to the Federal Court of Australia from a decision of the Commissioner of Patents to revoke a patent for a computer implemented method.
- Representing National Garage Remotes and Openers Pty Ltd in separate patent infringement proceedings issued by The Chamberlain Group, Inc and Automatic Technology (Australia) Pty Ltd in the Federal Court of Australia in respect of garage door opener remote control technology.
- Representing Phoenix Eagle Company Pty Ltd in long-running breach of confidence and breach of fiduciary duty proceedings in the Supreme Court of Western Australia concerned with novel modified carica papaya extract.
- Advising Woolworths Group Limited in respect of various contentious and non-contentious intellectual property matters.
- Acting for NUC Electronics Co., Ltd in patent infringement and revocation proceedings in the Federal Court of Australia against various infringers of its cold press juicer technology.
- Advising and acting for Cure Cancer Australia Foundation in trade mark opposition proceedings and general portfolio management.
Professional Memberships / Accreditation & Activities
- Recommended Lawyer, Intellectual Property, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific.
- Recommended Lawyer, Intellectual Property and Biotechnology Law, The Best Lawyers in Australia.
- Recommended Lawyer, Contentious Intellectual Property, Doyle’s Guide.
- IAM Patent 1000, Listed as one of the world’s leading patent professionals.
- WIPR Leader, World Intellectual Property Review.
- Intellectual Property ,