Heather has deep experience in commercial law, augmented by her particular experience with the regulatory, policy and operational frameworks of the Commonwealth Government.
She is known for her technical skills, strategic and outcomes focused advice and capacity to deliver pragmatic solutions for complex problems.
Heather acts for a range of government, quasi-government, not for profit and private clients.
Heather’s expertise includes:
- Advising on a wide range of contracts and other agreements in various contexts and sectors (drafting, interpretation, variation, management, risk, breach and termination)
- Advising on public and corporate governance, including under the Public Governance, Performance and Accountability Act 2013 (Cth) and the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth) (Corporations Act)
- Advising on legal issues to develop commercial and pragmatic solutions for clients, including to manage financial, reputational, legal or other risk
- Constitutions, shareholder agreements, share sale and subscription agreements
- Advising on the development of procurement strategies and tender documentation, legal process and probity, including conflict of interest.
- Advising on contract interpretation issues under a complex and long term contract for supply, maintenance and technical support for business-critical equipment to inform future procurement strategies.
- Advising on potential capital raising options for a government-owned proprietary company, with a focus on share buyback procedures and shareholder decision-making.
- Acting as General Counsel (on secondment) for a corporate Commonwealth-agency, leading its legal, governance and risk functions.
- Advising on alternative funding models for the Australian Government, including the establishment and governance of companies under the Corporations Act to deliver jointly funded initiatives of state, territory and federal governments.
- Acting for minority shareholders of a closely-held proprietary company in the successful resolution of a shareholders dispute, including advice on directors duties, employment of key personnel, exit events under the shareholders agreement and options under the Corporations Act.
- Drafting a suite of template commercial contracts for use by a state-owned corporation to introduce efficiencies in its business as usual contracting and for developing risk-based contracting options.
- Advising on the incorporation of a company limited by guarantee, as a not for profit entity (and deductible gift recipient) working to raise community awareness to prevent violence against women and their children.
- Government ,