Chris has over 20 years' experience advising lenders, sponsors and borrowers in the Australasian and UK markets. He has previously worked in top tier private practices in Sydney and London, as in-house finance counsel for Multiplex Limited and at Commonwealth Bank of Australia in the institutional loan markets division. This wealth of knowledge and breadth of experience allows Chris to advise and provide valuable insight to his clients when structuring and negotiating their deal.
Chris is part of Mills Oakley’s national Finance and Projects team and specialises in projects (renewables and logistics), structured real estate finance, fund finance and derivatives. He has significant experience in the syndicated and loan markets after spending a considerable part of his career at the Commonwealth Bank of Australia. Chris advises domestic and off-shore lenders (Chinese banks, US funds and Singaporean home office funds) and borrowers in secured, unsecured, syndicated and club transactions.
Chris’ skill set, “pragmatic approach” and “thorough understanding of his client’s needs” sets him apart from other lawyers in his field.
Chris’ expertise includes:
- Structured real estate finance
- Project Finance (renewables and logistics)
- Fund Finance
- Acted for Balbec Capital LP in the re-capitalization of VAC Group (under DOCA).
- Acted for China Everbright Bank Co. Ltd in the refinance of the Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas.
- Advises various Chinese banks in their syndication participations (primary and secondary).
- Acted for a sponsor of a waste to energy project on site acquisitions and syndicated facilities.
- Acted for a bank in the provision of debt facilities to an off-shore fund for the acquisition of a shopping centre south west of Brisbane.
- Advises and acts for various non-bank lenders, neo-banks and fintech start ups in the SME and corporate space.
- Acted for a client on its mining tenement rights and enforceability in a complex corporate financing structure.
Professional Memberships/ Accreditation & Activities
- Recommended Lawyer, Project Finance and Development Practice, Best Lawyers in Australia.
- Asia Pacific Loan Markets Association
- Australia China Business Council
- Turnaround Management Association
- Finance ,