In the 14 years that Bethan has been practising as a commercial litigator, she has developed expertise across a wide range of commercial disputes and industry sectors. She also advises on risk minimisation both in contract negotiation and during performance of the contract.
Bethan prides herself on providing easy-to use advice, being highly organised, deadline focused and proactive. Bethan is known for developing strong relationships with clients. She strives to become part of her client’s ‘business family’. Clients enjoy working with Bethan because she understands that disputes can be stressful, and she ensures that she keeps them involved in every aspect of the dispute resolution process.
Having spent time working in-house, Bethan understands what clients expect, such as a sense or urgency, depth of advice and the drivers for cost efficiency.
Bethan’s expertise includes:
- Contractual disputes predominantly in the construction, mining and infrastructure industries.
- Local and International Arbitration.
- Corporations Act disputes and disputes involving shareholders/directors.
- Misleading and/or deceptive conduct allegations/disputes.
- Restraint of trade and services contracts disputes.
- Disputes involving leases and other property related matters.
- Advising a company involved in international trade in relation to the recovery of secret commissions received by an employee and applying for freezing orders in order to protect assets.
- Advising an Australian based resources company on risk minimisation during the negotiation of a $50 million construction contract.
- Advising a resource development company in relation to legislative and contractual obligations concerning explosives handling and storage.
- Acting for a property owner in arbitration proceedings under the Commercial Arbitration Act in relation to significant defects in a high-end luxury residential home.
- Acting for individuals in a shareholder dispute concerning a failed joint venture and advising on proposed corporate structures.
- Acting for a company and three individuals in Supreme Court proceedings commenced against them concerning alleged breaches of fiduciary duties owed by the individuals to their former employer.
- Acting for a corporate trustee in Supreme Court proceedings concerning a legal providers’ failure to properly advise and warn about provisions in a facility agreement.
- Acted for a mineral development and mining company in oppression proceedings brought in the Supreme Court under the Corporations Act 2001 (CTH) and obtained an indemnity costs order against the firm representing the minority shareholders.