Who we are
We have over 30 years’ experience providing Australian and cross-border digital law solutions for clients across a broad range of Government and private sectors.
We have market leading expertise (as recognised in Best Lawyers) in data privacy/cybersecurity, multi-jurisdictional privacy compliance, information (including Big Data analytics, AI, IoT)), digital transformations, Blockchain, smart contracts and cryptocurrency.
In an area of law prone to hyperbole and confusion, we pride ourselves on helping clients through the important issues and providing practical and commercial solutions in a business friendly way.
What we do
Our expertise includes:
- Data privacy/cybersecurity including PIAs, privacy strategy and frameworks, multi-jurisdictional projects, emergency data breach assistance, privacy complaints and disputes, privacy & security assessments (e.g. SOC 2 & ISO), CDR, metadata retention and assistance & access under the telecommunications law regime.
- Financial Services information, IT systems and sourcing regulatory (e.g. APRA, ASIC and the new CDR).
- Digital transformations and projects (including RPA, AI, IoT, cloud and sourcing, Big Data analytics).
- Blockchain, smart contracts and cryptocurrency.
- Digital identity, electronic transactions and signatures.
- E-commerce/online business and e-marketing.
- Information/rights in data, intellectual property and commercialisation of data.
- IT/Tech including procurement, SLAs and risk/liability allocation and renegotiation.
- Assisting Microsoft with the mapping of the privacy laws of 9 jurisdictions against the new ISO 27701 global privacy standard.
- Review of and advice on the regulatory requirements related to the key digital operations both in Australia and overseas of an Australian market operator including undertaking gap analysis and providing practical solutions for compliance gaps and better practice.
- Assisting emerging and established companies in respect of Blockchain, smart contracts and token/cryptocurrency solutions, including strategy and implementation and advising a new entrant on establishing a multi-jurisdiction asset backed cryptocurrency.
- Auditing the information handling practices, including sharing and secondary use of data, use of new technologies, privacy and security practices and compliance of a national regulator, a number of State Government agencies and numerous Commonwealth Government agencies and providing practical solutions and recommendations to address any compliance gaps.
- Advising a major Australian bank on the information related aspects of the divestment of its wealth businesses to ensure compliance and achieve a practical separation.