Completing the 2013 Annual Information Statement – FAQs!

September, 2013

The ACNC has released a sample of the 2013 Annual Information Statement (AIS) that all charities will need to complete in due course.

A copy of the sample AIS and the ACNC’s guidelines are available on the ACNC website The AIS is due to be finalised shortly.

To further assist you when you complete the AIS, here are the main FAQs that some of you have raised with us so far:

1.    Do I need to provide any financial information?

No. The 2013 AIS asks for non-financial information only. The 2014 AIS will ask for the same non-financial information and also financial information. There is information about the 2014 AIS on the ACNC website which indicates what financial information will be required.

2.    Can I complete the AIS online?

The AIS is currently in paper form, but we understand that the ACNC is working on making the AIS available for completion online. You should receive correspondence from the ACNC in due course.

3.    For question 2 in the AIS, I have to put my charity’s legal name. How do I find this out?

Your charity’s legal name is the name that is linked to your ABN.

4.    How can I check what the charitable purposes of our charity are for question 7 in the AIS?

You can check the objects in your constitution and also information you have on your website or in other documents about your purposes. You can tick as many boxes as you like, but we suggest you tick the main purposes.

5.    Where do I obtain the figures from for answering question 15?

Your annual report, payroll records and WHS records may assist you. It may be useful to record this information in a separate document going forward, given you will be required to provide it annually. Remember, you can just give an estimate.

6.    Completing Section D is optional. Is there any point in completing it?

It may take some time to complete, but we suggest that you complete this section to assist the ACNC to cut red-tape. The more information of this nature that they can acquire directly from charities, the more support they will have when they negotiate with other State, Territory and Federal bodies regarding reporting obligations.

7.    Who needs to complete Section E, the declaration?

At this stage, this should be either a committee member/director or an agent who has written authority from a committee member or director.

Contact Mills Oakley

For more information, please contact:


Vera Visevic | Partner
T: +61 2 8289 5812

Privacy Policy | Terms of Use